Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Hello

I will be migrating to a new iMac from and old iMac. All my music and photos are currently on an external drive. I would like to keep the same set up with my new iMac. Is the switch as easy as using migration assistant and then plugging in the external drives to the new iMac.
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Hello

I will be migrating to a new iMac from and old iMac. All my music and photos are currently on an external drive. I would like to keep the same set up with my new iMac. Is the switch as easy as using migration assistant and then plugging in the external drives to the new iMac.
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Technically that is all you need to do.

If it fails then on your new iMac delete everything from the iTunes (given its all on your external. dont delete the data files.) then readd it. Since it dosnt copy the files to the internal drive it should only take a couple minutes to process the names and covers etc.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
The Pro- I appreciate you feedback. However, it seems a bit speculative.

I'm looking for some definitive answers or possibly another place for me to direct my question. The search came up sparse on the forum.

Thanks

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
What version of OS X are you using? If you're on ML (10.8.x), you can just clone the old iMac HDD to the new iMac HDD with SuperDuper!; then plug the external into the new iMac and everything will be like it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.