Media Keys (F1, F2, ect) Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dan73, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Ok so normally the F1 keys are used as media keys and to use the F1 you hold Fn + media key.

I know there is an option to switch around but what I'm wondering is: I play a game where the F keys are used and I was wondering if I can set it so when I'm ONLY playing this game that the Media keys are used as F keys? and once I quit the game they go back to being media keys.

Thanks!

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

In system preferences go to keyboard and mouse and go to the keyboard shortcuts page. Under the list of shortcuts should be a plus symbol which you can use to add custom keyboard shortcuts in any application.
    Hope this helps.

3. Dan73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm maybe its what I'm looking for maybe it isn't I'm still not sure I've tried to play around with it.

To clarify my original post to anyone else

By default

F1 = Decrease Brightness
    Fn + F1 = F1

I like that but JUST when I play my game I want it to be reversed because the game uses the F1 - F12 keys.

F1 = F1
    Fn + F1 = Decrease Brightness

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Also in keyboard system preferences you can choose to use all function keys as standard, but it will be global, not just for one program.
    You could probably write (or find someone to write for you) a script to change the setting when you launch the game, and again when you close it.