Media keys on regular keyboard (remap other keys?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RMo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Hello,

I'm using a standard Bluetooth keyboard (the Macally BTKey, to be exact) with my Macbook in clamshell mode, but I miss having the media keys (play/pause, next, etc.) found on Apple's newer wired, wireless, and internal keyboards.

I've been able to find workarounds before--for example, both Quicksilver (which I stopped using as OS X has improved enough I felt I no longer needed it) and SizzlingKeys allow you to configure keyboard shortcuts to control iTunes. I've usually used some unlikely-to-be-used-elsewhere combination like Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow to skip tracks.

However, lately, my iTunes usage has fallen out in favor of Spotify (which, if you like music, is awesome, and you should try it if you haven't). Apple's media keys as well as the remote work with Spotify (possibly with a plugin required) and, of course, iTunes; however, these other shortcuts won't. I'd hate to have to assign one to each application that I'm using and have to remember (and come up with!) lots of different ones--if this is even possible. (I don't think SizzlingKeys can do Spotify, and I don't want to use QuickSilver anymore.)

Does anyone know if it's possible to "remap" standard keys to have OS X treat them like the special media keys? I'm thinking of usurping some rarely-used function key or key combination but can't seem to find any application to assist me in doing this. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks!

2. RMo thread starter macrumors 65816

RMo

Turns out I found my own answer.

I downloaded a utility called KeyRemap4MacBook, which I had already tried but didn't think could do this. Turns out, I just wasn't looking hard enough.

For anyone else who's curious, this setting is buried in the "Change Key" tab under "Change F1...F19 Key & Functional Key" > "Change F1...F9 Key" > "F1...F12 to Functional Keys (Brightness Adjust, Music Control, etc)".

I checked the "F7,F8,F9 to Music Controls: F7 to Prev, F8 to Play/Pause, F9 to Next" box. Does anyone know if these keys are usurped by OS X for other purposes and if I might miss them? (F7 is used by Firefox to turn on caret browsing, which I never use.) I'm guessing these settings work best when you have an actual MacBook (or external) keyboard that has both the function and media keys so they can be selectively reversed, but I think this will work for me.