Media library stored on an external hardrive possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by debrice, Apr 20, 2012.

1. debrice macrumors newbie

Hi guy, I need some advices and experience feedback about the macbook air and the storage. I love the concept of the ultra portable, but worried about the size of the hardrive. I have plenty of movie shot from my son taken with my iphone (around 100GB) and lots of HiDef photos (around 30Gb). I used to have an iMac (1TB) so it never been an issue. Now that I don't sleep always at my place, I want to replace it by a laptop and I'm very seduced by the macbook air 128GB.

Any advices ? Should I go for a macbook pro even though it's heavy and I'm not a gamer.

Would a thunderbolt external hard drive of 1TB fix my problem? I'm worried about how I can manage (if possible)a splited media library (itunes, imovie, iphoto) when I'll use my laptop without connecting the external hardrive.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An external drive is certainly a good solution for your problem. It doesn't have to be a Thunderbolt drive. A USB drive would suffice.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

3. debrice thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds great. Sounds like I could have half my music on the other drive, but also all my pictures and movies too (those last 2 wouldn't be splittable though). I was thinking about a thunderbolt hard drive because I'm planing on keep editing video of my son on iMovie (Yeah, I'm one of those dad crazy about his 1year old sons' achievement) and being able to go quickly through my photo library too. You think a USB2 external hard drive would be fast enough for video editing?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fast enough to watch video, so I don't see why not. I'd prefer a Firewire 800 or Tbolt connection, but I don't think it would be a problem on USB.