Media Link. Anyone on here use it ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foxile, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Foxile macrumors regular

I've been using this to stream stuff from my Mac to the PS3 and in the whole I'm really happy.

The only problem is that I ripped a DVD in H.264 format ( using Handbrake 0.9.1 ) last night, but when I try to play it on the PS3, I get a 'unsupported format' error, even though the Nullriver website claims it should work.

Are there specifics I need to use, when ripping, to get this to work ( I just used the Handbrake default Apple TV settings ), as I seem to have a few problems with other 'supported' files too.

2. nordesmic macrumors member

Yeah I've been using it and am also very pleased. I'm yet to work out a way of getting Handbrake to output files that work on the PS3 though. I've tried multiple different settings but what I end up doing is reprocessing the files using VisualHub which always works.

The problem is not to do with Medialink. If you put the files on a USB drive they would still not work when played through the PS3.

3. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.

I'll keep an eye open for VisualHub and hopefully Sony will release a firmware update that solves the playback problems.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Connect360 vs Media Link PS3

Hey guys, I have an xbox 360 and I use connect360 which works very well in streaming media files from my mac to my xbox. It plays pretty much anything I throw at it.

How does the PS3 version Media Link compare? I have heard some people say that the PS3 doesn't work as well with media as the 360, in that some formats just won't play.

I would like to get some opinions here because I am thinking of selling the xbox for a PS3, but if the media streaming is significantly poorer than I will rethink my decision.

cheers.

5. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

I can't shed much light to be honest.

I have both, but I need an update to my XBox 360 to play the formats I want. The problem is my 3G internet access doesn't have the ability to change the MTU and I can't connect to XBox Live without changing the MTU setting.

The only limitation that Connect360 has ( that I have noticed so far ), that MediaLink doesn't, is that with Connect you can only specify one folder/volume, whereas with MediaLink you can add multiple folders.

6. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Same company. MediaLink is Connect360 for the PS3. Just rebranded (sort of...).

I am also very pleased with "MediaLink". I have the same issue with ripping my DVD's via Handbrake. For what ever reason, I can't seem to find the correct settings to rip my DVD's in Handbrake. No one seems to be able to answer that question. I've also encounter some ".AVI" files that I get the "error" message. I don't know why but if any has a clue, please fill us in on it. Other than that, it's like MAGIC! Thanks!

~e