Media Link

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guklein, Sep 22, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Does it work well with PS3?
    Is it worth?

Thanks.

2. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. dadoc04 macrumors member

4. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Working perfectly here on Snow Leopard. I use it every day - the only thing to watch for is that streaming HD video can be stuttery due to the high bandwidth of the video. For these files I just copy the file across wirelessly using Media Link to the PS3's internal drive. The only caveat is that the PS3 uses a filesystem similar to FAT32, which means it will not read any files larger than 4GB.

I only have an old Airport Express as my wireless router, so no doubt with something newer/better streaming of HD video would work fine.

There are several threads on these forums from people reporting that MediaLink doesn't work or has serious problems under Snow Leopard. I can't see any particular pattern to it, and it has always worked perfectly with Snow Leopard for me.

Then again Snow Leopard on my computer has a whole load of bugs that others don't seem to have, so YMMV! But overall I recommend MediaLink.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Only if you have a wireless connection. Any wired connection will be able to stream it fine. For some reason even streaming audio files is slow on wireless (my computer on wireless to my PS3 via wired network).

That's certainly a solution, but almost defeats the purpose of Medialink (you can just transfer files with any drive formatted to FAT32). Next, FAT32 doesn't limit files to 4GB. Some formats like MPEG are encoded in 32-bit containers and thus won't play nicely on the PS3 (but will be fine on your computer, don't as me why).

That's the key thing. It *may* suck for you. But I personally have not had any problems with the first alpha (2.0A1) that's just come out.