Media Player Alternative or iTunes Suggestions?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jul 9, 2013.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I am looking for either an alternative to iTunes or a way to make iTunes share AVI/MOV files.

I have a bunch of movies/TV episodes that are in AVI format. Having acquired my work G5 I've got the space now to set it up to share video. Unfortunately all of these vids are in AVI format. I've got a script that creates reference movies and imports them in to iTunes, but it makes Quicktime MOV files which I have discovered that iTunes will not share!

I would really, REALLY like to avoid converting over 80GB of AVI files to MP4 just so I can share them from iTunes. Is there any way I can get iTunes to either use and share AVI files or make it share the MOV reference movies? I have Perian installed.

This would be my preferred outcome, but if it's not possible, what do you suggest?

I have VLC and I tried setting it up, but it's convoluted and I don't know what I'm doing. Is there a different player out there that works on PowerPC that will share a library full of AVI files?

Thanks in advance!

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

have you read this FAQ?
    Lot's of videoplayers and player articles just for ppc there

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! Should have checked there first, thanks!

4. wobegong Guest

Miro shares its media (music and video) across the network to other devices running Miro, will import music from iTunes as well.

Simple overview of someone who does just that but gets the points across http://www.crayons.com.au/blogs/news/7264504-miro-an-alternative-to-itunes

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren