Media Player Codec experts, come this way please!

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I have the weirdest case of a unplayable quicktime file.

It's a 138.7mb QuickTime AVI file, and it Will Not Play, in anything.

I have Divx installed. I've tried VLC, Realplayer, Divx Player, Quicktime. It doesn't work.

The video is there because the file is 138.7mb, and I've read discussions about these types of files, but never got a clear answer as to what needs to be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
7on said:
Open the file in Quicktime. Press Cmd+I. Tell us the video codec it uses.
It gives me a message saying "Error opening movie. The movie could not be opened". I can't open it at all.

In VLC it openes up, but theres no video.. Is there a way I can find the codec in there?

Edit: When I go in VLC, and go in "Information" and go "Advanced", it says the Codec is mpga.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Anyone?

I just found out I need the K-lite codecs to view them. Are these available for mac?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
K-lite is a pack of codecs, many of which are available on MacOS X as individual downloads. It might be more useful if you could specify the specific video and audio codecs used in your multimedia files.

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
macgeek2005 said:
Edit: When I go in VLC, and go in "Information" and go "Advanced", it says the Codec is mpga.
In VLC, does it only have one stream? mpga is an audio codec, so we'll need to know the video codec. If VLC only lists the audio stream, the video's probably going to be unplayable anywhere.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
To get the codec info, Windows has a freeware tool called VideoInspector. Google it for the download. The only problem is you need Windows to run the program.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
As others have said its an Indeo video, the sound plays but not the video. It's an old intel format and is only supported under classic, there is no OS X support. Some older versions (3.2) of the format may work with mplayer.