Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I have a new macbook 2.0 white 512mb. I'm using it for the first time today.I am trying to watch The videos on NHL.com.It says I need the plugins for it.I have done this before for linux and xp but after I download it I click on the plugin and it says my system doesn't support this.On the windows download web site it said this was the plugin for macs.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Did you download Flip4Mac? It doesn't support Intel processor Macs yet. It will, but it doesn't yet, sadly.

You have a few options:

1) You can use VLC -- no plug-in for the browser, but it's an excellent viewer program and worth having anyway for files that get snippy with Quicktime etc.

2) You can find WMP9 -- it's still available, but MS makes it hard to find. You will need StuffIt Expander to uncompress this file.

3) You can get PopWire -- it's similar to Flip4Mac but Universal Binary already (meaning it works on Macs with Intel processors). But it is not free.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ferretboy said:
I have a new macbook 2.0 white 512mb. I'm using it for the first time today.I am trying to watch The videos on NHL.com.It says I need the plugins for it.I have done this before for linux and xp but after I download it I click on the plugin and it says my system doesn't support this.On the windows download web site it said this was the plugin for macs.
When asking a question like this, you should identify the media format. For those of us who don't follow hockey, your question is a research project if we want to help you. Because you are new, I did the research. The NHL.com videos are Windows Media files. They can be played in Safari or the QuickTime Player if you install the Popwire WMV-9 Component.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I downloaded them all but What do i open windows media.sitx with?

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
thanks for the links I will try the new software to see if it works. Sorry I thought that the plugins were the same for cnet videos and nhl.com.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
This frustrates the hell out of me. I don't have a lot of WMV files, but I hate opening VLC or WMP (both take longer to open, load files... and have a tendency to crash upon the first opening.) I WANT to use Quicktime, and Microsoft isn't doing anything, and it's crap. They're tempting me to uninstall Boot Camp, I'm that close.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
rspeaker said:
This frustrates the hell out of me. I don't have a lot of WMV files, but I hate opening VLC or WMP (both take longer to open, load files... and have a tendency to crash upon the first opening.) I WANT to use Quicktime, and Microsoft isn't doing anything, and it's crap. They're tempting me to uninstall Boot Camp, I'm that close.
There is absolutelty no reason to be frustrated. Locate, download, and install every QuickTime codec that you can find. Locate, download, and install every media player that you can find. You have a Mac. The choice of one media player or codec has no bearing (with rare exception) on your use of any other.

The Mac port of VLC does not support WMV3 (Windows Media 9) video. You have to use Microsoft's Windows Media Player 9 or a WMV-compatible QuickTime codec such as Flip4Mac or Popwire.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MisterMe said:
The Mac port of VLC does not support WMV3 (Windows Media 9) video.

This is all excellent advice, except that I'm pretty sure most WMV3 is WMP10 series and not 9 -- that is, nothing can play it on Macs (because WMP10 is not available). This is pretty much the as-bad-as-it-gets for video codecs, and it won't affect most people that often. But WMP10 specific content won't play on Macs for the most part.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mkrishnan said:
This is all excellent advice, except that I'm pretty sure most WMV3 is WMP10 series and not 9 -- that is, nothing can play it on Macs (because WMP10 is not available). This is pretty much the as-bad-as-it-gets for video codecs, and it won't affect most people that often. But WMP10 specific content won't play on Macs for the most part.
WMV3 is synonymous with WMP 9. In the case of the OP, a link to Windows Media Player 10 is provided on the NHL.com web page. However, the WMP 9-compatible Flip4Mac QuickTime codec handles the video with ease. WMP 10 is not needed. As for VLC, the Mac version can handle anything up to WMV2, which is synonymous with Windows Media Player 8. The Windows version of VLC can play WMV3 because it uses built-in Microsoft APIs. You are correct that nothing on the Mac can play Windows Media 10.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ahhh, okay, thanks. :eek: So WMP10 video files don't have a WMV version number that goes with them? I always thought WMV3 = WMP10, but you've set me straight. MS' numbering scheme is too confusing.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I downloaded divx for mac and other files then when I try to install them I click on it and it says can't open this movie or asks what program I want to open this with. I am so new to macs i have zero clue what to do.I can't watch the videos on nhl.com because I need wmv 10. this is going to take some time to learn the new system.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ferretboy said:
I downloaded divx for mac and other files then when I try to install them I click on it and it says can't open this movie or asks what program I want to open this with. I am so new to macs i have zero clue what to do.I can't watch the videos on nhl.com because I need wmv 10. this is going to take some time to learn the new system.
Reread the previous posts in this thread. To repeat, you do not need Windows Media Player 10. You can play those videos if you have Windows Media Player 9, the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec, or the Popwire QuickTime codec.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I downloaded everything. wmv-9 component ,flip4mac etc.When I click on nhl.com go to scores and try to watch highlights of games it says You need a missing plug in. I go to the page and download it.Go through the setup menus but when I go back to the videos still have the same screen that says "need plugin".
The programs and components are on my computer. would the mac just automatically use this program or do i need to put the componets somewhere besides the desktop. I feel like an idiot. I had the same problems using linux knoppix. That was a nightmare.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ferretboy said:
would the mac just automatically use this program or do i need to put the componets somewhere besides the desktop.

Okay, here we go. ;) We can walk you through this.

First off, Flip4Mac is playing the NHL clips for me. But Flip4Mac DOES NOT work as far as I know on Intel Macs.

WMP9 does work. Let's stick with WMP9 for now. When you downloaded the file, it should have come as some filename that ends with .sitx or .bin or something like that. Like

windowsmediainstaller.sitx

You need a program called Stuffit Expander to uncompress this. The link is in my first reply up above. Get this program -- it comes as a .dmg file. When you download this file, you should double click on it. A white disk icon will show up on the desktop, and a Finder window should appear. This is called a disk image, and it is the most common way OS X software is distributed. In this case, I believe, inside the disk image is an installer program. Run that by double clicking it, and follow the prompts until it finishes.

Now, you should be able to double-click the windows media .sitx or .bin or whatever file and it should expand. If not, run Stuffit Expander (which will have installed in your Applications folder), and then drag the Windows Media file to the Stuffit window. This will expand Windows Media into an installer.

Double click the installer and follow the prompts.

Then you should be finished. You will need to close and restart browsers to make it work.

This is actually the most punishing, confusing installation you will probably have to do in your lifetime with a Mac, because programs are hardly ever distributed as StuffIt files (Macs used to come with this software preinstalled).

But when you get through it, you should get the Windows Media Player, including plug-in, and the NHL website should work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ferretboy said:
I downloaded everything. wmv-9 component ,flip4mac etc.When I click on nhl.com go to scores and try to watch highlights of games it says You need a missing plug in. I go to the page and download it.Go through the setup menus but when I go back to the videos still have the same screen that says "need plugin".

mkrishnan is correct about Flip4Mac, but Flip4Mac is no longer your only codec option. Popwire is Universal Binary and should play NHL.com video on Intel Macs.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ok heres where I am at. I have a VLC program that is installed, an expander stuffit program,and a icon on the desktop that says windows media player with a gold ring and a arrow pointing down. Now when I try to watch a scores highlight it still says need pluging but now the window media player screen opens. But it doesn't play the highlights.I followed all the instructions and this is how far I am so far.I have not bought the popwire program so far.

update IT WORKS! THANKS! I JUST DIDN'T WAIT LONG ENOUGH.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MisterMe said:
Oh, for Pete's sake. It's a free download.

Is it? I didn't completely understand the limitations of the free version, because half of the page talks about an exporting component and encoding limitations (20 seconds without a license), but it wasn't clear if this meant 20 seconds of video playback or 20 seconds of encoding video into WMP.

My assumption that the free version doesn't do much is the only reason I didn't recommend it more strongly....

But also the OP said that whatever he's doing is working now, so I suppose we should let sleeping dogs lie! :eek: ;)

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Its Working. Thank You For Your Help.I'm glad that was the hardest thing I will ever have to do with a Mac.It was't that hard because I had great help.I hope this thread helps other members that are new to mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mkrishnan said:
Is it? I didn't completely understand the limitations of the free version, because half of the page talks about an exporting component and encoding limitations (20 seconds without a license), but it wasn't clear if this meant 20 seconds of video playback or 20 seconds of encoding video into WMP.

My assumption that the free version doesn't do much is the only reason I didn't recommend it more strongly....

But also the OP said that whatever he's doing is working now, so I suppose we should let sleeping dogs lie! :eek: ;)
Popwire is a free download. Its web page is misleading in this respect. Flip4Mac has a larger percentage of free features. I downloaded Popwire as a test, but I have no intention of actually using it.

sgd88

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Ok. I am in the same situation as the original poster. I am happy to use WMP9 or whatever. But I cant install this StuffItExpander.

I download the .dmg, I double click it, it pops up a box saying it is verifying something. It closes. That is it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sgd88 said:
I download the .dmg, I double click it, it pops up a box saying it is verifying something. It closes. That is it.

It's probably a corrupt download file...first thing to do is to try deleting the copy you have and downloading the dmg file again. If that doesn't work, there are other possibilities, but please try that first.

sgd88

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
mkrishnan said:
It's probably a corrupt download file...first thing to do is to try deleting the copy you have and downloading the dmg file again. If that doesn't work, there are other possibilities, but please try that first.

Ok. That didn't work. What are the other possibilties?

sgd88

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
OK it gets worse. I cant open any .dmg files. They all do exactly the same thing. Start to verify then stop.

I have previously been able to open .dmg files on this machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.