Media player for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jezarel, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Jezarel macrumors newbie

Hi all.

My name is Jez, and I am a noob. :D I have recently been given a Mac book and I have never used one in my life. I’m a computer scientist so I can get to grips with the system but I need to know about Apps.

I have over 6k of MP3 files and 466 wma, I have used Switch to convert these windows files to MP3 but it has obviously removed all the metadata for artist and album and track number etc.

Because the files were not imported through I Tunes it won’t search for CD track info. Besides this I don’t like I tunes but I am great fan of music.

Can anyone recommend me a “jukebox” app that will read my files and allow me to update them using my Internet connection? Just like WMP.

I have looked around, I promise I have but I don’t want to clog up my new HDD with files that I will never find again.

I would be willing to pay so if someone could recommend a freeware version or a licensed version if it’s that much better.

I hope this is posted in the correct section if not I apologise.

I hope to be helping out around the forum as best I can once I have the knowledge of the AMAZING power of Apple. I am a man converted. :D

Thank you in advance

2. bier-meister macrumors regular

songbird is a decent app. Version 1 was released not so long ago. It has a nice add-on feature where you can install various plugins, similar to Firefox. It's not perfect, few things still irk me about it, but it's getting there. The development community is good and you can request features that you feel may be missing.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

For your converted mp3s without metadata in iTunes, send them thru ieatbrainz. [​IMG]
    It tags everything, it knows all.

4. Jezarel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Hey guys, thanks for your ideas, IEatBrainz seems to be dying a death and I hate add-ons as I'm a little anal about scraps of programs hanging around on my HDD so Im not to into add-ons.

I am downloading currently ID3 Editor. Cant Hurt to try it was recommended on the same site as IEat.....

I would use Itunes to play the files, I just want them recognised and tagged in a suitable format for Itunes.

Thanks again for your suggestions guys.

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Gosh if you want to do all the hard work yourself, why bother with id3editor? iTunes can edit id3 all by itself...

6. Jezarel thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a killer I know, problem is that the files were pulled from a windows machine and not "imported" with I tunes, so it wont search the net for file names, so I get 446 tracks that are recognsied as artist

eg. 01-meatloaf-cry_over_me.mp3
    and so on.

I could always port them back now that they are mp3's use media centre to tag them then port them back.

ID3 is taking a long time to import to the list.

-----------------------
    Started using IEatBrainz but all the tracks i add it tells me that the accoustic sig is not recognised in Music Brainz

:'(

7. bier-meister macrumors regular

If you go back to windows, there is a great app called the godfather. You can tell it what patterns to look for in the file name and folder structure and it will create the tags based on that.