Media Production Major Looking For A Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Skatergonerebel, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Skatergonerebel macrumors newbie

Hey I'm a sophomore media production major and i'm looking to get a video camera (preferably HD) that i can use for all the basic stuff; white balance, manual focus, etc. Basically not a handy cam.
    I'd like to not exceed 3,000 if possible but understand if i have too.
    I was looking at the Canon XH A1 but that's more than i want to spend, and then also the PANASONIC AG-DVX100.
    I was hoping you guys might have some ideas but most importantly i wanna make sure it works with my macbook pro and fcp 5.
    Thanks
    ~Dave

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

If you have cameras available to you through your school I would recommend sticking with those. The exception to this is if you can make money to recoup the cost.

Being on a budget, definitely look for used cams (this would bring the A1 into your price range).

3. Skatergonerebel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i already have about 1.5 thousand saved up and could make the rest if i needed to

4. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

ebay

If you're willing to take the risk of sight unseen, you can find some good deals on ebay.

Otherwise, I'd take the advice given earlier, use the camera from your school. Why shell out all this money for something you don't use a lot ? Even production of shorts, most of the time is spent in pre and post. you can always borrow from a friend or from the school to get practice if that's what you want.

If you wait until you graduate or REALLY need it, you may be able to get something better.

Plus you could always use the money that you'd spend on the camera, towards the BUDGET of your own short of no/low budget film.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I third not buying a camera unless it generates you an income. $3k goes a long way towards rent, food, and bills after you graduate.

Lethal