Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I installed Elgato media server a while ago, and deleted it, too. Unfortunately, it still keeps popping up whenever my Mac starts up. I can kill the process, but as soon as I restart, its back! Anyway to remove it completely?

Thanks
Aaquib

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I installed Elgato media server a while ago, and deleted it, too. Unfortunately, it still keeps popping up whenever my Mac starts up. I can kill the process, but as soon as I restart, its back! Anyway to remove it completely?

Thanks
Aaquib

There probably are still files in /Library and /System/Library.

When you installed it, it most likely added an item to your Startup Items in your Account.

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts and select your account. Then click the "Login Items" list. You will most likely see an entry for it there. Select it and click the "-" button which will remove it.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
There probably are still files in /Library and /System/Library.

When you installed it, it most likely added an item to your Startup Items in your Account.

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts and select your account. Then click the "Login Items" list. You will most likely see an entry for it there. Select it and click the "-" button which will remove it.

All that's there is the iTunes Helper application. The account that it was created for has changed. I created a new account and deleted the old one thinking it would automatically delete the server, but its still there. It's taking up RAM, and its not even useful to me because its locked into the old account.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
All that's there is the iTunes Helper application. The account that it was created for has changed. I created a new account and deleted the old one thinking it would automatically delete the server, but its still there. It's taking up RAM, and its not even useful to me because its locked into the old account.

Again, there must be some startup files in either (or both) /System and /Library.

1. In activity monitor, find the process name for the Elgato Server.

2. Look in /System/Library/Extensions, /System/Library/LaunchAgents, /System/Library/LaunchDaemons for anything that has Elgato or the process name within it and move it to the desktop. Remember where you took them from.

3. Look in /Library/Application Support, /Library/Extensions, /Library/Frameworks, /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/PrivateFrameworks, and /Library/StartupItems (most likely in here) and do the same as in item 2 above.

4. Reboot and see if the process restarts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.