Media server ideas for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tommyprevatt, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tommyprevatt macrumors newbie

I want to set up a network media drive to use with my Apple TV 3. I understand that to do it you have to have a computer running iTunes with the media in it's library. I was wondering if there was any alternative to that since we don't have a desktop at home - all we have is my Macbook which I take with me during the day so that would leave my wife without any of the media while I'm gone.

Alternatively, we have a DLNA capable blue ray player as well. Is there a way to use that to play media from network media drive without a separate computer running all day long??

Again, my first choice would be using the apple tv for this since it is a better experience than using the blue ray player. But if there's no way to do that then how about with the blue ray player?

Thanks!

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am pretty sure you need a computer running iTunes unless you jailbreak it. I got a 2010 Mac Min base, added 8GB of RAM, got a 2TB external HD for all the iTunes stuff, and now running Mountain Lion. Works great and I love the set up, and very easy to use. The Mini sleeps until the Apple TV wakes it up to stream moves.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

what kind of media do you want to stream?

music
    --look into iTunes match.

video.
    --if you're purchased from iTunes, you should be able to re-download if you want to watch

--not purchased from iTunes, you'll need a computer.

--
    if you're decently computer savy, you can get a barebones atom based small PC for under $200, (adding drive and memory will add $50-100) and install windows on it to run itunes on.

4. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

Raspberry Pi running XBMC (raspbmc or openelec). It's pretty cheap.

You can attach your harddrive via USB and it can also serve other machines via SMB (or even UPnP, I believe).

It can also accept AirPlay contents from your MacBook (some videos I can't play, though)

5. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

Your DLNA player still needs a server to run 24/7. DLNA works good. A good DLNA will stream any format you want. The issue with DLNA is, most consumer DLNA clients or BD players do not play any media formats that matter. Most only stream MP3, AAC, MKV video with MP3 audio and Jpeg for pictures. Even with this, most only play up to 320kbps. No lossless audio, no Flac, no HD video. Either way, you will need a dedicated server running 24/7. So, with this in mind, just pony up the $500 and purchase a Mac Mini. Then you can use the AppleTV with Itunes and sing a song of happy. You can even setup the mini to be a NAS plus Itunes server. With the Mini acting as a NAS, your BD player could play files from the mini with the built-in media player. Your AppleTV plays from the Itunes. You would have the best of both worlds.