Media server insight for 3macs/1pc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sha(on), Jul 25, 2009.

1. sha(on) macrumors newbie

Hey guys we have 3mac laptops / 1 dell laptop and am in searching for a user friendly media solution. I am looking to share/stream the usual itunes/photos/movies.

I was reading about the HP media smart (and its issues with macs) and then saw the drobo but seems way overkill. Current router is airport extreme w/N

Thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you already have a Airport Extreme, just get any old USB drive.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If all you wan to to is stream your music, photos, and movies then an external USB hard drive hooked up to your extreme would be ideal. Now it would be a bit slow since there's a lot of users complaining about how slow this is.

However if you want to do more, like have it do bittorrent downloads/seeds then a small server box would be it. You can either just use an existing PC machine, built a small server, or just get one of those HP setups.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Airport Express can't share drives, only Extreme. You could get a two disk enclosure and get two identical disks and put them into a RAID configuration. Then just plug that into your extreme. Or, you could do what I'm about to set up. I have 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, and 2 Windows laptops. One of my iMacs was essentially replaced by the MBP, and has been relegated to iTunes server duty. It will be hardwired into my main Extreme, which will have a 1.5TB USB drive attached to it for Time Machine. The other iMac will also be hardwired. The MBP and PCs will be wireless. The Windows laptops will have their own printer, but all the Macs will have their own, as well as being able to print to the server iMac's printer, which is the best in the house. In order to share with Windows, I recommend sharing using FTP

5. sha(on) thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading aboout the Iomega home media network hd, and seems like its pretty solid. Would the Iomega or the HP be better for streaming media with the macs?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That was a typo :eek:

7. sha(on) thread starter macrumors newbie