Media Server: Macbook Pro <==> Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiesforme, Apr 22, 2008.

1. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

My aim is to be able to wirelessly stream media from my Macbook Pro to my Playstation 3 which is connected to my Home Theater and LCD HDTV. So, I am looking for a good media server for my Macbook Pro. I love the way Windows Media Player 11 does this seamlessly and so I thought iTunes should be able to do so ! :(

I connect the Macbook Pro to my LCD HDTV by DVI/HDMI but that limits the portability and I cannot use the Mac while some movie/music is being streamed from it. Again, I don’t want to use an external HDD. I have 2 already and it would be a pain to copy and sync all my media to external HDD even if I have them connected to the PS3.

There was another thread on this issue but not much came from it.
    I tried EyeConnect but it did not work out for me even after opening firewall ports used by the server.

Any suggestions ?

2. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You can try Nullriver's Medialink. I've never used it, but it looks like it does what you are looking for:

3. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

That's what I use. Worked perfectly with no set-up on my part at all. The PS3 just "saw" my Mac.

4. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Media link is the best software solution with not set-up. I use it myself and it works great.

5. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Thanks guys !
    I installed Medialink and it shows the PS3 in the devices list. But the PS3 cannot see any media servers !? :confused:
    Is it because of some firewall issues on my 2WIRE router ? As of now the PS3 is wired to the 2WIRE router.
    Seems like I'm the unlucky one :(
    Any suggestions ?

Attached Files:

6. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

7. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

It's working now ! But an interesting question ?!

I tried something last night just after posting this message but Macrumors Database errors won't let me update the status. :(

In the previous scenario I had the PS3 wired by Ethernet to the 2WIRE gateway. The Media Server was running on wireless and could see the PS3 but the PS3 won't do the same. Then I Ethernet[ted] my MBP to the router and voila !! Prior to this I had tried opening up ports 9385 9386 (TCP/UDP) for Medialink, but that too didn't work out.

Conclusion: In my case, both the PS3 and the MBP (Media Server on it) have to be connected to the Local network by similar interfaces i.e both wired to the router or both on wireless. This is proven by the fact that I have both EyeConnect and Medialink (even Azureus) functional and running when both the PS3 and MBP are on wireless or both wired to the router. This doesn't make much sense to be since IP addresses are abstracted over the physical media and it should not be a problem whatever interface I use. After all, the application layer bothers about the IP address and not the underlying physical layer/interface. Very interesting - would be great if somebody can explain why something like this would happen.

In short - Thanks guys ! It's working now :)

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

9. skiesforme thread starter macrumors 6502

skiesforme

So how did it work out for you ??
    I must add I noticed the same problem last night again. Had to wire the Mac to the router and this time the PS3 was on wireless. It worked !
    I don't really understand what's the issue. Tonight I'll try disabling the firewall entirely instead of opening individual ports and see how it responds.

10. TheCreator macrumors member

Must have something to do with your router, mine works fine with PS3 connected wirelessly and my iMac using ethernet. My router is a DIR-655.

11. twitch88 macrumors newbie

twitch88

I just dl'd the free version to try out first. It works fine except when I try to FF any faster than 1.5. If I go any faster, it just freezes.

Is this only an issue with the free version?

12. twitch88 macrumors newbie

twitch88