Media Server on Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rob.G, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Is there anything on the Mac that is the equivalent (or better than) the Windows Media Server/Home Server setup? I want to setup a media server at home, and really don't want a Windows machine if I can avoid it. I'd rather pick up a quad-core Mac Mini.

Anything available that's decent?

Rob

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

From what device to you plan on accessing the stored media from? Good programs include iTunes, XBMC, and Plex.

3. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Well the idea is to hook the thing up to the TV in the living room and have something that can be controlled entirely by the Apple Remote (or a similar remote). Something to play movies and stuff... maybe even some web surfing to play Hulu or whatever.

It'd also act as a file server for the rest of the house. I would probably setup an external disk array (RAID) to store everything.

I just don't want to deal with Windows because of all its inherent flaws and reliability issues.

Rob

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With just the Apple Remote for control, I'd suggest Boxee, Plex, or XBMC. They're all based on XBMC code, but changed by their branch source managers into different products. Try them out and see which you like best.