Media Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by htdefiant, Dec 9, 2008.

1. htdefiant macrumors member

I tried to come up with a better title, but this is a complicated situation, and I guess you all will just have to be tormented by the long description.

Currently, my iTunes library is managed and updated on my mac pro. My entire family syncs their iPods to my machine. Also, all of the family's photos are managed using iPhoto on my Mac Pro. This summer, I intend to purchase a photo scanner and scan 30 years worth of photos that are in albums (quite a project). Because of this project, I may upgrade to Aperture or Lightroom, but I will wait until May to see what the software situation is.

That was the background, now for the issue. I am going off to college next August, but, I still need the music and photos to be accessible to me, but, more importantly, to the rest of my family. Everyone else in the household runs Windows. One of my parents needs a new machine, and is open to getting a Mac, but needs to run Citrix for work. What are possible solutions to this problem? I've thought of getting a Mac Mini and a 1 TB external hard drive for all of this, but that still leaves the issue of keeping the library synced with the one on my Mac Pro.

I have been wrestling with this for a few days, and I figured I would let the hive mind (you all) take your best shots at this.

Thank you.

2. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

so are you wanting to be able to use your music library at home from college? i'm a bit confused by what you are looking for?...what comes to mind is getting the 1TB drive, setup file sharing on it...always have it come on with a computer that stays put. Then everyone can link their library to it and sync that way. You need to backup all that data anyway...

Are you taking the mac pro to college with you? :confused:

3. htdefiant thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I was not more clear. I want to have my Mac Pro with me at college and have edit access to the music and photos. But the people at home want edit access, as well.

4. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

5. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

ah. i think i see what you're looking for.

does anybody know if a .me account will sync an itunes library? (what isn't in one goes to the other and such?)

so if i understand this right, you are wanting to keep the same libraries from a long distance so that multiple users can stay updated...

htdefiant, is this what you are basically wanting to do?

i'm thinking some sort of Remote Access is required.

if you are wanting to go to college and your parents still get the music from the mac pro that is with YOU, that might be impossible. i don't think the download/upload transfer rates would be acceptable for long distance transfers like that.

6. htdefiant thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I want...is that too much to ask? Perhaps I should settle for just having separate libraries. Anyone else have suggestions?