Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motox25

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I personally like the idea of having a desktop for storage and a laptop for use on the go. The MacBook however is slowly but surely being replaced by my iPad :p why doesn't apple release a low end version of the Mac pro for a media storage solution? I think Imacs serve a great purpose for a desktop, but not for a media storage device. With movie and tv show downloading becoming more popular on iTunes, where are users storing the ever- growing media collection? Sure, you can get an external drive on an iMac or Mac mini for storage but then you need a second one for backups as well. The current Mac pros are overkill for media storage devices in my opinion.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Get a PowerMac G4 and use it as file server. They go for pretty nice price. Of course if you want better one, get G5 or even first gen Mac Pro

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

If you don't have a host computer to plug the 4 bay enclosure in to, get a NAS instead of an older computer. Finding a Mac that can handle at least 4 SATA bays, only to use as a media storage... Throw money out the window instead!

Loa

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
probably a good idea if you can find a cheap one :) use a fair bit of power though :(

NAS are ok, but very costly! may as well build a custom PC

Yeah, they are bit power hungry. A PC is good too, just like you're doing ;) A case with 8 HD bays plus decent mobo, 2GB RAM and CPU are ~500$. Then add as many HDs as you want, all at 3Gbit/s!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah, they are bit power hungry. A PC is good too, just like you're doing ;) A case with 8 HD bays plus decent mobo, 2GB RAM and CPU are ~500$. Then add as many HDs as you want, all at 3Gbit/s!

just like im doing :)

its a pretty good alternative i think, especailly when you compare prices.

ok seriously.. bed time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.