Media Storage Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satinsilverem2, Aug 14, 2014.

1. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Hello all,

my 2tb external hard drive that I use to store all of my media is getting full with only 25gb free. So I'm looking to upgrade to the WD My Book Duo 8Tb or do you think that size is a little bit much. On average I add around 30-50GB of content to it per month. Do you think I could get buy with the 6TB version which is a bit cheaper also?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this drive. From what I can tell its very similar to the Thunderbolt and Velociraptor duo except connectivity is USB 3.0 instead of Thunderbolt.

Link to the drive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Book-dual-dri...F8&qid=1408019907&sr=1-2&keywords=my+book+duo

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For the kind of money WD is charging for that setup, I'd be looking at 4 bay NAS options. Yes, it'll be more expensive. But with the right NAS, you'll have the ability to drop in 4 drives and have some redundancy.

3. satinsilverem2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

As I use this drive for my iTunes library would I still be able to use the NAS as the library source?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I have multiple drives. Sometimes a bit confusing. But, if one goes bad, my loss is lower than if one super large drive craps out and EVERYTHING is gone.

Just my thoughts.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's the whole point of RAID 5. It allows the array to continue to function even when a drive fails.