Media Streaming

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Namtaro, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Namtaro macrumors regular

Is there any way for my iPad Mini to steam videos off my local network?
    I also have a UPNP media server (PS3 Media Server) for my PS3... any way to connect to that?

So far I'm loving my Mini. Everything's better than my Nexus 7 except for the ppi which doesn't affect my eyes while reading ebooks and missing streaming videos to it. :)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, there's apps that allow u to play videos off SMB, or AFP shares.

3. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Well, you mind telling me those apps?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The ones I've tried are BuzzPlayer, Goodplayer, OPlayer.

5. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Tried Oplayer (lite) and I can watch the video, but no sound plays... I was afraid of that since some of my files are in MKV format.

Not wanting to try the other versions since they don't have a lite version to test out first, are there any apps to connect to a UPNP server since my computer will do the encoding or whatever?

6. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Plex is your answer. It will let you streaming local and also when you are outside your network. I stream all my files from work

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Tons of them. If you need a full list, check out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16318895 , starting with #39, particularly #41 . Or, alternatively, wait for my full "LAN Streaming bible", which will very soon be published.

8. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot! I'll be on the lookout for your 'bible'.

Bought both It's Playing and GoodPlayer. It's Playing seems to be doing a better job, but doesn't see my Media Server so just got GoodPlayer as well just incase. :)

Now I have no regrets at all switching over from the Nexus 7! :D

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Unfortunately, as DVD's and Blu-ray discs use AC-3 (or other Dolby formats) a lot, many MKV's are pretty much unplayable.

Should you want to play them w/o dynamically transcoding (via, for example, the above-mentioned "Plex"), your other choice is just quickly reencode the audio track to AAC, preferably by adding the new AAC track so that you don't lose AC-3. A decent tool for doing so is MKVTool. See my just-posted tutorial at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16357138