medialink help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .mark., Apr 18, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

hi, I'm having problems streaming some movies to my ps3 from my mac. I'm using medialink (from nullriver) to serve the ps3.

Some movies play fine and all my music plays great so I know that it's not completely knackered.

The error I'm getting on the files is "The data is corrupted". The files are not corrupted though as they play fine on my mac. Do I need to re-encode the files? I'm guessing they might be in an incompatible format. The details of one such movie that I'm trying to play are as follows:

format - video: AVC coding, 720 x 436, Millions,
    format - audio: AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
    fps: 25
    data size: 996.95mb
    data rate: 1276.10kbits/s

the file is in the mp4 format.

So can anyone see a reason as to why this movie won't play? as far as i'm aware this file type should be compatible.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is the error appearing on the PS3 (or inside medialink on the Mac)? If it is, then the problem is most likely an unstable connection between the two. Try using a wired connection on both devices.

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

the error is coming on the ps3. It is only a few movies which get the error, I can play some fine. This leads me to think that the connection is stable. I have just been comparing some that play vs some that don't and the one's which don't have the video in AVC format. Is this a known problem? I'm converting one now to h.264 to see if that helps.

oh and another point to prove that it's not the connection is that I've copied an unplayable file to the ps3's HD and the error message remains the same. I think it's AVC thats the problem but if someone could confirm this before I recode a load of DVD's I'd be grateful!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect AVC as the cause, if that's the case. I must admit, though, the PS3's error message is unhelpful. If it said something like "This movie format cannot be played" then that would confirm my suspicion.