MediaLink Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roseyboy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Roseyboy macrumors member

Yo,

Just wondering if anyone has changed the icon which is displayed on the PS3's dash for media link, its currently the 2 green orbs, but i would much rather change it to a icon of my powermac, its not as easy as changing the package contents of a Mac app as I can't find where its pulling the icon from.

Any help, even if its just where the graphic lives would be grand! :D

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Right click (Or Control and Click) on the Media Link App icon in the Applications folder, then click 'Show Package Contents' it should be somewhere in there ('Resources' I'd imagine).

Backup anything before you change it, I don't know much about the workings of the images stored in there and there might be more to it than just changing the image file.

3. Roseyboy thread starter macrumors member

yer gave this ago as its a preference pane and naviagted to a larger than any used on the mac side icon with a TIFF extension, gave it a change in photoshop, but upon a reboot anda check no luck with the change. Have emailed Nullriver sayign it would be a nice idea to be able to have an icon representing your type of mac rather than the media link icon on the PS3. Oh well, just have to wait and hope....

4. Roseyboy thread starter macrumors member

Weird to digg this up again, but I gave it another go with the package contents change on the latest update and bingo bango it worked, I now have a leopard PowerMac icon on the PS3 rather than the green balls, makes it a bit easier for the other half to work out which device she needs to leave on and it looks nicer.

[​IMG]

Now all I want to do is customize the text.............

5. gilall macrumors newbie

Worked it out

I know its been ages since you posted this but I was wondering if you managed to change the text that Medialink comes up with on the Device.
    If not and for any one else wondering how to do this to change it you must navigate to
    /MediaLink.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MediaLinkHelper.app/Contents/PlugIns/MediaServerDevice.mldevice/Contents/Resources then open the file DeviceDescription.xml with a text editor. then change the line that says
    <friendlyName>Nullriver Medialink <@hostName@></friendlyName> change the bit in between the <friendlyName> and </friendlyName> to change what it says on the device <@hostName@> is the machine that it is being hosted on you can delete this if you want too. So if I wanted it to say MyMediaServer the line would look like this <friendlyName>MyMediaServer</friendlyName> hope this helps someone :D:apple::apple::apple:

6. ptys macrumors newbie

ptys

I'm having trouble with the icon change in 2.05?

I've gone through and navigated every 'green orb' tiff I can find and the only one which made a change is the 'DeviceIcon.tiff' which is located inside MediaLinkHelper.app/Contents/PlugIns/MediaServerDevice.mldevice/Contents/Resources?

When I change this, the icon also changes on my PS3 but there is still a transparent MediaLink orb over the top?

Perhaps this is a patch in by the company to stop us fiddling?