medialink over gigabit ethernet vs 802.11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 29, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I have an airport extreme, not the new 802.11n one but the round 802.11g. and I have been streaming video and music from my g5 desktop to my ps3. It works great. But however there are times when the movie skips a bit and i cannot seem to fast forward. It's not smooth, very laggy. And the video takes a while before it actually plays. If i were to wire my g5 and ps3 using the new airport extreme base station via the gigabit ethernet. Would all those problems disappear?

I also notice slow downs at times when streaming video from my g5 to my old 17" g4 powerbook (1ghz/2gb ram). Maybe its just too old? Or is it the wireless network? Also when copying files back n forth it is so slow. All my wireless computers on the network at 802.11g so i should get 54mpbs max. I set my airport extreme that way so i can get the best speeds possible. I know if you set it to be a/b/g compatible it will slow the network. But copying files seem to take ages.

Would going to gigabit ethernet make a big difference?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The only time MediaLink would stutter for me over WiFi was with really big files, like movies, small media was fine. But I decided to just use Ethernet for the PS3 instead and I haven't had any stuttering problems since, no matter what type of media I play.