Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This is good for people like me that only use 20-30 minutes a month. When you think about the bills for both phone + tablet you save more. Especially when it's like $20 extra for adding a tablet.

13MP camera... Oh man, think about using it, then having that beautiful screen to edit in Photoshop Touch, Snapseed, and VSCO Cam right then and there without having to change devices. :D Photographer's portable dream.

The hardware looks decent too.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
This is good for people like me that only use 20-30 minutes a month. When you think about the bills for both phone + tablet you save more. Especially when it's like $20 extra for adding a tablet.

13MP camera... Oh man, think about using it, then having that beautiful screen to edit in Photoshop Touch, Snapseed, and VSCO Cam right then and there without having to change devices. :D Photographer's portable dream.

The hardware looks decent too.

I agree, for some people this would be a good phone/tablet. Just use a bluetooth headset and you have a nice setup. Too bad it's not coming to US carriers (don't know if it would be available some other way?)

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I agree, for some people this would be a good phone/tablet. Just use a bluetooth headset and you have a nice setup. Too bad it's not coming to US carriers (don't know if it would be available some other way?)

Aren't their plenty of other android choices on offer a very similar capability?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Don't the Samsung tablets have phone calling? The LG G2 Pro would be a pretty good devide for folks also looking at this..Its not 7 but 6 inches, 3GB RAM and would run on the Snapdragon 800..

Yes, there are devices that can do similar things. However, as big as they are, they are not this big. Personally, I have no interest in this phone, but I thought it was interesting. This thing dwarfs my Note 3.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It looks really interesting. I'd never get one though as it's too big to be a phone but I think it's cool. I like the concept. If I lived in South East Asia I'd get one.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Asus Fonepad was released in Asia last year and it has a 7-inch screen. The first gen even came in champagne gold.

A few weeks ago I actually saw a girl hold a Fonepad against her ear. Laughter followed. But in the Philippines, it isn't rare to see Filipinas holding Galaxy Notes. I even saw one girl carry around an Xperia Z Ultra in the Social Security offices. Most people in Asia are internet users. I figure they need the big screen to check on Facebook pix and the like.

Good to see Huawei follow Asus' footsteps. I thought the Huawei Ascend Mate was one of the best phablets of 2013, even better than the Fonepad. Asus, Huawei, and Lenovo are the only manufacturers I've seen pack 4000 mAh batteries into their phablets so far.

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I can never understand devices like this with no stylus. Looks nice otherwise, but too big for the pocket.

I love the Stylus on my Galaxy Note 3, but think of this like an other 7" tablet that doesn't have a stylus. Do I really need to remind you what Steve Jobs said about the Stylus? :D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I love the Stylus on my Galaxy Note 3, but think of this like an other 7" tablet that doesn't have a stylus. Do I really need to remind you what Steve Jobs said about the Stylus? :D

Meh, IMO Jobs was wrong about the stylus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.