Mediapad-this is one big phone!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by rhinosrcool, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This has it's benefits. Biggest one being you can use your existing SIM for data.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This is good for people like me that only use 20-30 minutes a month. When you think about the bills for both phone + tablet you save more. Especially when it's like $20 extra for adding a tablet.

13MP camera... Oh man, think about using it, then having that beautiful screen to edit in Photoshop Touch, Snapseed, and VSCO Cam right then and there without having to change devices. :D Photographer's portable dream.

The hardware looks decent too.

4. rhinosrcool thread starter macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I agree, for some people this would be a good phone/tablet. Just use a bluetooth headset and you have a nice setup. Too bad it's not coming to US carriers (don't know if it would be available some other way?)

5. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

Aren't their plenty of other android choices on offer a very similar capability?

6. rhinosrcool thread starter macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Not this large. Yet?

7. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

Don't the Samsung tablets have phone calling? The LG G2 Pro would be a pretty good devide for folks also looking at this..Its not 7 but 6 inches, 3GB RAM and would run on the Snapdragon 800..

8. rhinosrcool thread starter macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Yes, there are devices that can do similar things. However, as big as they are, they are not this big. Personally, I have no interest in this phone, but I thought it was interesting. This thing dwarfs my Note 3.

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I can never understand devices like this with no stylus. Looks nice otherwise, but too big for the pocket.

10. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I really like this huge phone... granted not as fast as the LG G Flex however.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It looks really interesting. I'd never get one though as it's too big to be a phone but I think it's cool. I like the concept. If I lived in South East Asia I'd get one.

12. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I actually really like this thing, if only I could put it somewhere.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i don't see the need, you can't even comfortably fit that in a pocket.

14. Savor, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

Savor Suspended

Savor

Asus Fonepad was released in Asia last year and it has a 7-inch screen. The first gen even came in champagne gold.

A few weeks ago I actually saw a girl hold a Fonepad against her ear. Laughter followed. But in the Philippines, it isn't rare to see Filipinas holding Galaxy Notes. I even saw one girl carry around an Xperia Z Ultra in the Social Security offices. Most people in Asia are internet users. I figure they need the big screen to check on Facebook pix and the like.

Good to see Huawei follow Asus' footsteps. I thought the Huawei Ascend Mate was one of the best phablets of 2013, even better than the Fonepad. Asus, Huawei, and Lenovo are the only manufacturers I've seen pack 4000 mAh batteries into their phablets so far.

15. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I love the Stylus on my Galaxy Note 3, but think of this like an other 7" tablet that doesn't have a stylus. Do I really need to remind you what Steve Jobs said about the Stylus? :D

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Meh, IMO Jobs was wrong about the stylus.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can see using this with a headset, but it is too big to carry around everywhere.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

It looks pretty nice actually! It's just too impractical really.

19. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

Agree. According to my stats I used my phone for actual calls only a few times. $21 in 24 months.

Only ever use my phone for internet.