Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have a Logitech Mediaplay Mouse that will not work on my iBook: it reads the receiver, but nothing about the mouse works. At first I thought it was because it must use a non-standard driver (and OS X isn't officially supported in the documentation), but after a little experimentation I've found that it works perfectly on my Cube (running Panther), my dad's Powerbook G4 (Tiger), my brother's Sawtooth G4 (Tiger), and every PC I have. My dad and brother don't use USB Overdrive, but the mouse worked perfectly with USB Overdrive on my Cube and it doesn't work on my iBook whether USB Overdrive is installed or not. I have never had any problems with peripherals and my iBook before. I love this mouse, so someone please help me figure how to make it work!

Here is a link to the mouse:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=9340

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
On the site is says that it only works for PC. It is designed for PC (windows) only. Unless you get an intel mac and use windows all the time, you should take it back, because it won't work. Sorry.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
First, let me add a revision to my original post: although I said nothing about the mouse works, I meant that no buttons work. The mouse does move the cursor, albeit in incredibly sensitive leaps.

macuserx86 said:
On the site is says that it only works for PC. It is designed for PC (windows) only. Unless you get an intel mac and use windows all the time, you should take it back, because it won't work. Sorry.

The problem isn't the OS, though. As I said in my first post, the mouse works perfectly plug+play on the three other Macs in my house. The problem is with my iBook, and I'm just hoping someone around there can figure this out. Until then, my trusty 'ol Kensington Optical Elite will have to stay with my iBook and my Mediaplay will stay tied down to my PC.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Don't have any PPC Macs I can test it with, sorry. Works (the regular buttons, not the media ones) with my Intel Macs under OSX. Maybe the receiver isn't getting enough power fromthe USB bus? You could try putting it on a powered USB hub.

Could I direct you to a Microsoft Mouse? This IMO blows the Mediaplay mouse - as good as it is - out of the water. Movement is slower, but better accuracy and a much nicer feel for buttons. Certified for Macs too.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...ls.aspx?pid=002&active_tab=systemRequirements

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Sesshi said:
Don't have any PPC Macs I can test it with, sorry. Works (the regular buttons, not the media ones) with my Intel Macs under OSX. Maybe the receiver isn't getting enough power fromthe USB bus? You could try putting it on a powered USB hub.

Could I direct you to a Microsoft Mouse? This IMO blows the Mediaplay mouse - as good as it is - out of the water. Movement is slower, but better accuracy and a much nicer feel for buttons. Certified for Macs too.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...ls.aspx?pid=002&active_tab=systemRequirements

It gets the same results on a powered hub as plugged right into my iBook. The mouse has to be using the wrong driver somehow, but I don't know how to change this in OS X. USB Overdrive, which is completely compatible with the mouse, doesn't read it on my iBook even though the same version of USB Overdrive on my Cube reads and programs it just fine.

The Microsoft Mouse looks good (and I usually prefer the feel of MS to Logitech Mice), but I think the Mediaplay looks better, and it fits my hand perfectly. I am broke anyway, so I'm not about to go out and get a new mouse. Someone has to know something about changing drivers on mice in OS X!

dragonlx

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2006
Same thing had happened to me

The same thing has happened to me. The Logitech mouse works fine on my PC but the Mac won't pick it up anymore.
I will get back to you if I find an answer.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Well, the Mac OS 10.4.8 update finally fixed my problems, for the most part. Left, Right, and Middle clicks work, and the scroll wheel scrolls vertically, but none of the other buttons work (except as left clicks in the finder). It is a little unusual, as all 10 other buttons (including tilt left and right on the wheel) work as standard clicks in the finder, but they do nothing in other programs, other than the forward and back buttons in a couple programs such as Warcraft 3.

USB Overdrive still doesn't read it, but I'm going to download Steermouse, which I just found out about, and give it a try.

EDIT: Steermouse rocks. I can configure every button, even the volume and track buttons, which USB Overdrive never saw on the other computers. It took about one minute to configure the mouse to launch Front Row (using the media button) and use the media button, play/pause button, and tilting scroll wheel to control it completely on our family Macbook, thus eliminating the need for a separate remote. Same goes for VLC and iTunes. Finally, my Logitech Mediaplay Mouse actually plays media!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Holy crap, I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks for the pointer.
(But I probably wont use it as the Mediaplay mouse's main buttons are really hard on the fingers :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.