Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Any recommendations for and against? I'm going to use the wiki for personal stuff, but later that might expand a bit, ie. opening my accumulated knowledge to people outside of my home.

I have absolutely no web programming skills for setting up MediaWiki, but I'm usually a quick learner, and not afraid to work my way through things.

Just wondering if it is easier to just go with Wiki Server 3, and thus install Lion Server on my Mac Mini..

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
I've used MediaWiki as part of an Invision Power board installation (it was like a bolt on application to the forum software) and it was VERY simple to use.

I'm assuming a standard installation would be just as easy. All you need to do (I'm assuming your web hosting has the latest version of PHP, ability to create SQL databases etc) is create an SQL database in advance, upload the relevant files from the Mediawiki download and then go through the install process, entering the SQL database name, username and password.

Not had any experience with the latter though, but from past experience with Mediawiki, very good piece of software, and that was a stunted version made compatible with another piece of software (for the user base management etc).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
All you need to do (I'm assuming your web hosting has the latest version of PHP, ability to create SQL databases etc) is create an SQL database in advance, upload the relevant files from the Mediawiki download and then go through the install process, entering the SQL database name, username and password.
I was planning on hosting it on my Mac mini as it is always online, but I assume installing PHP is quite easy. I would have to learn SQL from the bottom though.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Not had any experience of hosting web applications locally. Can't be that hard, although the uptime would be sketchy, lol

Whats the subject of the wiki out of interest?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Not had any experience of hosting web applications locally. Can't be that hard, although the uptime would be sketchy, lol

Whats the subject of the wiki out of interest?
First of all a place to gather food receipes, as me and my girlfriend love to collect them and try out different things. Being a bit of a perfectionist, a Wiki would be perfect I believe, especially since you can always send the family a link to a recipe.

Second, I want a place to put all of my Mac related hints (In danish, again for links to the family). Not sure if it is possible to run two seperat instances on the same machine?

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Can't see why not. Just separate directories, separate Databases. /recipes and /mactips or whatever.

I'm intrigued now, gonna have some grub and then have a look in to this myself :)

Got my own dedicated server, so most of the web stuff I do I use that.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I appreciate you taking time to advice me.. I'll see if I can find out what Wiki Server 3 can do (It *will* be easier to set up I'm sure), but otherwise you have suceded in me not being scared of MediaWiki.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.