Medical Devices

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by badmac78, Apr 20, 2010.

1. badmac78 macrumors 6502

With all the fuss over healthcare, I'm disappointed in the pace of medical device integration with the iPad/iPhone/iPod family. I've heard nothing since the J&J demo. I would think this would be great for heart rate monitors and loads of other medical information delivery. Is it because of the "Made for i*" is so difficult to participate in?

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, devices apparently may need to contain a special Apple-provided chip. This is a significant expense for manufacturers, as they'd have to produce a special version of the device for iPhone.

I'd say that requiring that the device contain a special chip just to talk to iPhone makes the program "difficult to participate in", LOL.

3. indy1979 macrumors newbie

The way I see things progressing is like this:

The EMR/EHR vendors will interface their software with medical devices (via HL7 or some other protocol) for a fee.

Then they will create an iPod/iPad/iPhone application that will proxy through their servers (so they can charge monthly service fee) to get back to your servers to view the data you want.

Allscripts is one company that is already doing this with an iPhone app. I have a felling the iPad is going to open up a lot more possibilites with them.

4. badmac78 thread starter macrumors 6502

well ... something else I noticed. Signing up is not designed for small companies. It's somewhat frustrating. There is a lot of opportunity there beyond just speaker docks.

5. fishepa macrumors regular

Excellent assessment, although if they were proxying back to their servers for the database information, they would likely be going over the internet though a VPN connection which would be incredibly slow.

And given that doctors are not the most patient people in the world, they (EMR/EHR vendors) would have to make it extremely fast and efficient to be usable.