Medical ID accessibility

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cuestakid, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

So I was extremely disappointed, concerned and frankly scared that since I upgraded to iOS 10, access to the emergency button, and by that the Medical ID component was essentially broken on my iPhone when it is locked. Originally it was not even there but after 4 hours at the apple store ,we were sort of able to put it back but it is still very hard to access when the phone is locked.

As someone who suffers from epilepsy, being able to provide quick, easy and immediate access to my medical info, as well as give first responders and bystanders instructions on what my medication, medical history and emergency contact information.

It is my general understanding that these features are easily accessible from an Apple Watch. Can anyone confirm that the Medical ID feature can be accessed simply, easily and quickly? I do ware a medical ID braclet so I can put some text on it to tell people what to do. However this text must be no less than 2 lines and essentially be (do A, Go to B and see C).

I looked and android ware (for full and complete comparisons) and those won't work. Neither will Pebble, Jawbone or any other device. There is a epliepsy specific watch but it is more about detection and telling others rather than providing full information.

I was never really interested in the Watch-I saw some potential for seizure detection/prevention combined with the Medical ID functionality, so if something like this became available I would then consider it.

I have always bought tech for the first time if I felt that the item would provide me with a meaningful use and never out of knee jerk.

That all said, can anyone confirm, deny or elaborate on how easy the medical ID feature is accessible if the watch goes to sleep/dark screen or if not, what is the fastest way to get to it. Ideally, we want this process to be less than 3 steps. 4 may be acceptable but no more.

Thanks

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Can't comment on native Medical ID of Health app since never have a chance to use it (thanks God) but if this thing is very important to you there's also a 3rd party app specifically to this use case to consider.
    http://watchaware.com/watch-apps/medical-id-in-case-emergency/994171337

Note that it also has Widget on iPhone so you should be able to swipe right to left to easily access it there.

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

I looked at some of the widgets for iPhones and the issue is they either provide little info on the widget, or if I want it I need to unlock the phone. However I will take a look at this app.

Thanks

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

On the Apple Watch medical ID is easily accessible hold power button for a few seconds and it's the second option to swipe and the ID appears. The iPhone not so much anymore, an incorrect finger on Touch ID will bring up passcode screen the select emergency in the bottom left and medical ID shows on the bottom left.

5. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

thank you both for your replies. I had heard that the medical ID part was accessible via the watch by using the power button but I wanted to confirm such and/or if there were additional apps that work.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think people have blown the lock screen issue out of proportion. An incorrect finger brings the keypad up. Emergancy is displayed like normal. Watch is just as easy.

But honestly you can't beat a medical id band. There are so many varieties available these days including Apple Watch bands should you so wish.