medical student looking for desktop solutions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cricketman, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

hello everyone
    I'm a first year medical student and have a 2015 13" MBPr. I am happy with the computer performance and portability but sometimes the screen is a bit too small for when I want to watch lecture videos and take notes at the same time.

Could anyone offer some relatively affordable (remember I am pretty broke haha) but good quality monitors? I like to have wireless solutions but I am thinking about using a wired keyboard. I enjoy the huge travel of the wired keyboards in my universities computer lab (I really feel like I am typing something) - any recommendations in that regard as well? thanks!

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

ASUS 27'' 1080p display
    Dell 27'' 4k display
    Logitech K750 wireless keyboard
    Matias Tactile Pro keyboard

Getting a monitor that is better than your 15'' display will be almost impossible on a limited budget. Still, good sized 1080p displays are relatively inexpensive and still offer a great deal of screen real estate. It will seem like an "upgrade" if you use your Macbook's basic settings because the Macbook displays at a smaller resolution than it is capable of in order to pack in extra pixels.

For a keyboard there are quite a few good ones. The k750 is a really nice full sized keyboard (Apple doesn't offer a full sized wireless keyboard) and the Matias I linked is an amazing mechanical keyboard.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I tried the new one that came out though and the keyboard isn't that bad imo. Way better then the one that was offered on an Asus laptop and was a full sized one

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Do you have a TV you can use? Or iPad as a secondary display with duet?

Off the cuff, an Apple TV will allow you to stream wirelessly to a TV. You can send the video to the tv, while using laptop to take notes..

Otherwise, if you have any goodwills or similar stores, you can likely find a very cheap, working monitor..

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

If this is still on the table, go for a mechanical keyboard with Cherry brown keys. Simply superb!

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Budget and mechs should not be used in the same sentence :)

I like Reds

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

As others have suggested, just add an external monitor.

I'd suggest a 27" display. Plenty of additional screen real estate.

I would also recommend that you spend some time browsing this comprehensive list of IPS displays:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

8. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular