Medio 2009 MBP suddenly reaching absurd temperatures.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McColanis, Jun 19, 2012.

1. McColanis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

First post here and already screaming for help. My problem is the following: since yesterday, my 15-inch, 2,53*GHz, medio 2009 MBP is reaching absurd temperatures for the little CPU usage shown in Activity Monitor. Watching a live stream for example, only uses max. 40 CPU at peaks, but makes my MBP reach temperatures up to 90°C.

I can hear you think: "these temperatures are normal, it's not overheating, it will shut down itself if it's overheating, etc." I know this. The problem now is that these temperatures affect my computer performance. The whole system gets choppy with slow reaction times and hiccups.

I play League of Legends, and some games on Steam. In order to be able to play these, I installed SMC Fancontrol 2 years ago. I pump up my RPM right before I start playing, because the default temperature monitoring wasn't doing the trick. If I didn't use SMC Fancontrol, I'd get the same hiccups as I'm having now. I've been gaming for 2 years like this, never had a problem. (RPM at 4k)
    But now, even at 5k+ RPM, the game is unplayable, reaching temperatures to up to 100°C.

So I started browsing the forums for solutions. I've reset my SMC, and cleaned out my vents (not too much dust). No results.
    I wondered if my temperature sensor was broken, but that can't be it. That wouldn't affect the performance of my laptop, would it?
    I've checked my Activity Monitor on 'all processes', nothing abnormal to be found there. I haven't installed any weird applications lately that I can think of. This problem has only started occurring yesterday.
    Haven't been able to run a Hardware Test, since I can't find my installation discs... (Really Apple, removing the 'press D on startup for Hardware Test' was a bad move)

Can anyone help me further?

Thank you in advance,
    Nick.

2. McColanis thread starter macrumors newbie

A question that might help me find the solution: does the MBP lower your performance based on the temperature that it's registering? If that is the case, a broken temperature sensor might be the problem here...

3. ppone macrumors regular

You should run the Apple Hardware Test. It is contained in the second disc that came with your MBP.

Just restart and hold down the 'D' key.

It will let you know if any sensors or hardware is failing, things that OS X might not detect.

4. McColanis thread starter macrumors newbie

Any way of doing this without the install discs? I might not find these back. We've moved since I bought the MacBook Pro, and things like that are hard to find around here. I do have my disc of the Snow Leopard if that helps anything, though.