Medium Write Error MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abraxsis, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I have a MBP and once AGAIN I am getting Medium Write Error when I try and burn DVDs and CDs, it really hit or miss. This occurred once before and I sent it back with the laptop having been inside the 1 year warranty. Its been less than one year since the repair was made and Im wondering if I called and complained they would cover the repair since their "fix" didnt even last 9 months. I dont get it, are these drives just garbage? This complaint is all over the net, why isnt Apple doing anything about it before they class action them on another piece of equipment? Instead of fighting Apple should I just invest in an external DVD burner?

Then again, I rarely travel with this thing. I ought to sell it, put a little cash with it, and buy an iMac and a basic Macbook for when I travel.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i believe the imac and macbook use the same drive, the Matsushita U-857J or what have you. Its either that or the Hitachi-LG drive, which supposdly also has its issues. I have this drive in my MBP and i'm able to burn successfully unlike my Matsushita in my old MBP.

3. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Yes, I have the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 in my MBP. They put a logic board and DVD drive in the machine last June, and now its doing it again. Does anyone know if Apple warranties their work for any period of time? My book is out of warranty now, but this makes me REALLY angry. They put inferior DVD drives in these very expensive machines, switch it out once, and it goes back out on me and Im out a bunch of cash to fix it? It just doesn't seem fair.

I baby my machines and take excellent care of them. When I sold my 12" Powerbook online the buyer sent an email asking if it was really used, or just "old" new stock. This machine is the same, if I handed it to you today after a wipe down youd never know it was used by looking at it. I think the thing that pisses me off the most, is that it devalues this machine significantly if I wanted to sell it right now and get an iMac. What Apple emails to I need to spam to see about getting something done about this?