Meebo / Adium problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theaero, Jun 11, 2010.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

So I use meebo on my iphone to stay logged into all of my accounts (yahoo,msn,aim, at the same time).

I need to be online on all of my accounts 24/7, but if I login to things like yahoo/msn in different locations, it signs me out. So this prevents the possibility of using adium on my computers, and meebo on my phone. What I've been doing at the moment, is using meebo on my home computers, and phone, but I hate being stuck in a browser. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could possibly do? Ive tried logged into Meebo VIA Adium as a jabber client but none of my contacts show up. Any help would be great, thanks!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's the Yahoo/MSN protocols themselves that do this. So you're pretty much out of luck.

But if you're logged into Meebo on your iPhone, why do you need to be logged in on your Mac as well (and vice versa)?

3. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Convenience. When I'm at my computer I don't want to be messaging from my phone. I want to be messaging from my computer, so I have to go on meebo, which keeps me logged in on both my phone and my computer. Thats the nice thing about meebo, is that it allows for multiple locations. However, if I use adium/any other client thats not the case. If there was a native meebo desktop client, then things would be great, but theres not, so I'm trying to figure out if I can log into meebo using a desktop client thats already out there, as meebo uses the jabber protocol.

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I had problems with Meebo + Adium.

Shell out the $ and get Beejive. Free > $, but everything works fine (other than the AIM popup that tells you about multiple sign-ins (you can just close it).

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

6. xmatt macrumors newbie

Did anyone find a solution for this? I've been trying to figure out very much the same thing. There are nice multi-IM clients for iPhone (I use BeeJive) and for OS X (I use Adium), but it's annoying that there isn't a clean handoff between the clients, and there's no way to share chat history between them.

Meebo seems like the only service that enables this, but there's no desktop client (and I hate the idea of doing all my desktop IM through a browser window). I followed some instructions to connect Adium to Meebo; it "works", but I don't seem to get any contacts showing up so I'm not sure what exactly Adium is connected to.

Are there any other services than Meebo that might do this? Perhaps some kind of Jabber->multiple-IM bridge service (such that both desktop and iPhone clients would just connect to a single Jabber server?)?

7. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

I'm gonna resurrect this thread... Has anything changed so far? Essentially what we need is an OSX client that also exists for the iPhone that works like the same server based model that Beejive etc use on the iPhone.

The local client connects to their server. And their server is connected to the IM networks for me. And my devices and OSX app ask their server whats going on.

Does something like that exist yet? I can't believe nobody is doing that... It's such a no brainer really and everyone I know who has an iPhone or Android has this exact same problem...