Meebo..Data or Text??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cnasty, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I am an iPhone newb and I have read on here great things about Meebo.

I was hoping the current iPhone users can answer for me. When using these "instant messenger" type programs on the iPhone, does it count in your data plan or as a text every time you send a message??

This will determine if I need to add a text plan on launch day or just use this for all my communication as I use AIM a ton right now for all my friends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

2. Sherb macrumors member

Meebo would be considered data only. The only thing that would count towards texts would be... well, texts in the SMS app. Anything you access over the web (Safari) would be considered data.

Although IM applications will come out, but those will still be considered data, not texts.

Short answer: Meebo = Data

3. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thats the news I was hoping for.

Reason I asked was because I went to the ATT store today and the guy said any messages on a message type application would count towards a text.

I am not going to buy a text plan since I dont text often, but would have to get one if the messenger apps use text instead of data.

4. Sherb macrumors member

And that's why you don't ask people that work at AT&T. When you get your iPhone, you'll just go to meebo.com and it will load an iPhone web app and all that is data :D

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Niiiiiiiiice!

Thanks for the quick replies and hope I can grab one on launch day. Appreciate all the help!