Meeting new people through flickr

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SOLLERBOY, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, i just joined flickr recently and am finding it hard meeting new people. I'm going to Uni in september to study photography and and love looking through other peoples stuff and them looking through mine.

I'm basically just asking some of you to post the links to your flickr pages for me to look through and you can look through mine etc. Maybe let me know what you think about some of my stuff.

i have been looking through explore for random stuff to look at but it's not that diverse.

here's mine. http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielllobera/
    :)

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Are you making good use of the 'groups' feature? There are innumerable avenues for sharing and critique there.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

As far as MacRumors goes, Look through Photo of the Day. Most folks with Flickr have a link in their sig. Mouse over photos that don't and if they "give you the finger" click on the image. It will most probably take you to Flickr.

MeetUp.com has photo groups in most cities. They organize photo shoots with real people.

Dale

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have been on a few meetups through meetup.com. I am also on FlickR. You can add me if you want. The link is in my signature.

5. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Have had a look through your flickr stream and have added you as a contact.

Which Uni are you going to? Which Photography course are you studying?

I will be interested to see what you post from your uni course.

If you want to look at my flickr stream I am say_cheese1981

6. bld44 macrumors 6502

I also added you as a contact (davis.brandon).

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Flickr is a social network unto itself. Everyone has a common interest and everyone has their own reason for doing it. It's pretty cool.

If your town has a good [Flickr] community manager, then there might be some cool gatherings. These are popular in North America but I'm not sure about the UK or elsewhere.

8. Steamie macrumors 6502

Steamie

Some nice shots on your Flickr stream.

If you want to generate interest in your shots on flickr the best way is to spend some time looking through other peoples shots and commenting on them. If you see someones stream that you like add them as a contact, don't expect other folk to always do the same though as some people on flickr have more traffic than they can handle. ;)

You could also try using the map function to see what shots are displayed in your area and comment on them if they interest you...

Once you become active enough on the flickr community it will snowball and in a years time you'll be back here asking how to manage the thousands of contacts you have and the thousands of comments your shots get a day :D

9. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice. I'll follow it all and persevere. I've never really been one for social networks but i'm trying to become more active during my uni years and do a bit of networking.

Also, thanks for all the add's i've added you all right back and and will be investigation your photostreams. As for mine, I still have a huge backlog of all my best stuff to put up so I'll be working hard on it.

As for what Uni I am going to, I shall be attending UCLAN (University Of Central Lancashire) doing a BA (Hons) Photography. Still don't really know what area I will be perusing but this course will help me what that a lot.

:)

10. notwelby macrumors member

11. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

12. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

13. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

14. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Added you back. There's some nice stuff in there. I left a few comments and look forward to seeing more.

15. notwelby macrumors member

I added the rest of you. So many nice pictures, you are all really talented. I look forward to seeing more :)