Mega Frustrating: Cannot read sim card/restore error

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wonderbutt, Apr 11, 2009.

1. wonderbutt macrumors member

Hi guys
    Tonight I had a convo cut short as the iPhone battery needed to be recharged (I did get a %10 battery power left" message.

So, I get home, plug into iTunes and get a this:

USB cable to iTunes in background, and message says:
    Restore Needed

Iphone cannot send or receive calls. Restore from iTunes.
    www.apple.com/support

Great. I have no idea why this idiotic message comes up. So I connect to iTunes again, and the error message on iTunes says: iTunes cannot activate your iPhone because it cannot find my sim card or a SIM PIN is required.
    Disconnect your iPhone, make sure the SIM is inserted correctly, tap unlock BLAH BLAH..

I have NO SIM PIN.
    I cannot restore as the guys at Apple.com/support suggest because the SIM Card cannot be found.
    I have NOT unlocked this iPhone.
    I am very angry, and am close to smashing it into the wall.
    Any ideas as to hat is going on?

iTunes 8.1.1
    IPhone 3G 16gb 2.2.1 firmware

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Try popping the SIM card out, give it a gentle wipe, and pop it back in.

3. yhwhechad macrumors newbie

stuck

i am having the exact samn problem it wont do anything and ive tried everything please someone help:confused::confused::confused::confused::mad:

im on 3g 8gb 3.1.2

4. Shadow2k macrumors member

I had the same error about 2 months ago. The phone suddenly showed "iPhone cannot send or receive calls. Restore from iTunes" while driving home (even the GPS chip stopped to work :eek: :eek:).
    I wasn't able to restore it via itunes, nor did it work after doing a DFU reset. In the end I had to call Apple and they replaced the phone.

(If I remember correctly, there should be small info button that is supposed to show you some info about the the phone/sim. In my case all fields were empty)

Edit: iPhone 3G, 16GB

5. rtztgue macrumors regular

Same problem here. Just called iphone tech support and they claim it is a hardware issue. Luckily my phone is under warranty so I am sending it in.

3g 8gb 3.1.2