Mega Man fans, talk to me!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Last night, my friend and I started playing Mega Man 2 on the NES. We chose "difficult", cause we wanted the real deal. ;) After a few hours, we had beaten all eight robots and were off to Wily's castle. But then it was too late, and we called it a night.

Now I had always heard how incredibly hard those games were. We were kinda surprised at how fast he cruised through those eight levels. Does it get a lot harder afterwards? Is the worst still to come? Or were we just spoiled by the Super Mario Lost Levels? :D

Also, once we beat this one, we'll probably play Mega Man 9 on the PS3. We started with MM2, cause we read that it was supposed to be the best in the series. Which other ones should we consider checking out?

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Mega Man 1 is tough as hell. MM2 is one of my favorites but like you found, it's not overly difficult especially if you take out the bosses in the "right" order as they all have a particular weakness.

Go get the Mega Man collection for the Gamecube or the PS2. The Mega Man X series is awesome as well.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Mega Man's 1-3 decline in difficulty in that order, 3 was exceptionally easy, 2 was difficult at the time, but if you know the tricks or take your time, it's not too bad, 1 is definitely the worst of those three.

The difficulty stepped up again with MM4.

I've only played a little bit of 9 due to the recent acquisition of Mario Kart Wii and a lack of time to play.

I need a way to find more time in a day...

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Here's your solution: Sleep less. I would say, "don't sleep." ...but that's crazy talk. Everyone needs some sleep, if only a little. Start by deffering an hour of what would have been sleep time to gaming. Then, slowly shorten the remaining amount of sleep time as much as you can. You might be able to work yourself to only 3 hours of sleep a night or less.

Back on topic, I like Mega Man 3 and the ability to slide. It just became available on the virtual console and I will probably pick it up. I haven't played the later games so I don't know their difficulty level.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I already sleep less, most of the issue right now is 2 young kids with a third on the way and an addiction to too many prime time TV shows. We've changed cable providers and now have added DVR functionality that should aid in freeing up time (and football seasons 3 hours every sunday definitely don't help either), but I've also added going to the gym 2-3 times a week to the entire repertoire. Luckily a few of my shows should be ending their run soon, and I'm picking up new shows less frequently, so I should have things more manageable in a few years (of course at that point there will only be more games for me to play).

MM3 was a good game but, at least to me, it was by far the easiest of the MM series. The first one suffered from the lack of being able to save which increased the difficulty greatly, especially if you didn't know the secret tricks for beating the rock dude and Wily, but it was no cake walk even knowing the tricks, MM2 was, and always will be, my favorite of the series, mostly because it was the first one I ever played, the first one I ever bought, and a game I went back to many, many times, and had honed my skills to the point of being able to beat the game taking the robot masters in any order.

I haven't played enough of 9 to determine how difficult I deem it at this point.

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, we just beat MM2 on difficult, and it did get pretty hard in the end. Still manageable though...

Has anyone tried the downloadable extra difficulties ("hero mode") for Mega Man 9?

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Kinda off topic, but still on, if you play Little Big Planet at all, some Japanese player created an Airman level, which lays the airman theme song. That's all it does, but it was built by him using the in-game builder (of course). And he gives you a custom made Airman standee to use in your levels...

EFFING brilliant. That's all I can say about it.

As far as the mega mans, I n II by far the best. They all had a sequence it was best to beat the bosses in. The one thing to always piss me off when I was a kid were the disappearing, reappearing blocks. GAAAAH!