Megabus

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Sep 5, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It'll get you from point A to point B. Is that good?

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I've used megabus a few times in my life, Boston to Connecticut and Boston to NYC. I haven't had any issues with it. It tends to be cheaper than someone like Greyhound.

One of the ways they save money is generally avoiding fees associated running out of a major transit station (ex. Penn Station). They usually just drop you on the side of the road, which is fine unless it's raining. Their pickup/drop-off locations if not at a station usually are within a close vicinity of one.

For instance Mega Bus Boston to NYC leaves from Bostons South Station's bus terminal, but arrives at 7th and 27 in NY, which is a few blocks from Penn.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not in a drag race.

6. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you the other advantage of GreyHound, at least their Express buses, is guaranteed free Wifi, extra legroom, and the plug outlets!

I am not even sure if I should go on a bus because I don't know if I trust it.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I would go with megabus over greyhound any day. I'm not sure about your area but here in New England they overbook their busses and if it's full they'll either make you wait for the later one or put you on a non-express though so rather than a direct route they make 4 stops along the way masking a 2 hour trip 2hrs and 45min or more.

Greyhounds Wifi, not that I've been on in probably 2 years, is awful. Don't expect anything remotely fast. Good for slowly checking email and that's about it. MegaBus offers the same mediocre wifi as well as outlets. I found Megabus buses to be more modern than most GH buses.

Megabus is an international company that's been around for a while. I wouldn't be too concerned. What's don't you trust?

As long as it's not Fung Wah you're probably going for be just fine. (Fung Wah was a bus that went from Boston though CT to Boston, and was notorious for numerous tragic accidents. Eventually the I think the government shut them down)

8. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sense some of you all know so much about a Megabus what are the best seats ?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Does Megabus have reserved seats on the lower deck that are not at a table ? I don't want upper deck reserved seats.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I believe they do have bottom seats without tables, but it might depend on the bus. I'm pretty sure I've had a double decker bus with bottom seats- that may have been a different company though.

The bottom levels theoretically is more comfortable as there will be less swaying, but the upper deck isn't bad either. One time I got stuck at the front of the second level, a little annoying having a clear view of the road ahead. If you get carsick it's probably the best seat as it allows you to look off into the horizon. Sitting between the front and rear axels is usually the best bet.

How long is this bus trip? It seems like you're putting an awful lot of thought into the comfort quality. There are some other options out there if you're concerned about comfort.

There's luxury coaches that run between cities. For example LimoLiner.

10. edvj macrumors member

As long as the bus driver is cool..:D

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You evidently haven't seem them driving then :eek:

:p

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

What do I know about public transport. Currently in Amsterdam and probably made more public transportation journeys than the last 10 years.