Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrplough

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
It just says cannot reach site. It does that on both firefox and safari. It works on the pc... what gives?

mrplough

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Quite a pain in the @ss,
I fixed it by, go to my router settings, taking note of my DNS server and then adding it to my network settings on my mac. And tada everything works now.
Still weird though, never have had that problem on any os
meh who care is suppose
I'm able to reach

http://www.megavideo.com/

and get the opening page with no problem. This is running 10.5.7 with firefox 3.0.11.

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Quite a pain in the @ss,
I fixed it by, go to my router settings, taking note of my DNS server and then adding it to my network settings on my mac. And tada everything works now.
Still weird though, never have had that problem on any os
meh who care is suppose

Isn't security a wonderful thing... :D

arpfleiderer

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
How do I do that

I'm having the exact same problem with megavideo, and I am brand new to Macs (just bought it a week ago). I'm also generally fairly inept with the intricacies of computer/networks etc. Any chance you could explain step-by-step how you solved the problem, and how I can do the same? Using 10.5.7 on a macbook pro. Thanks a lot!

jkam

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
i agree..i'm having trouble on how to add a network
can someone give a step-by step thanks!

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I could not get onto Mac Rumors Forum but I get access Mac Rumors.com homepage? Anyone know the cause? (it fixed itself a few days later)

mrplough

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Apparently for some routers, the mac platform does not receive the DNS information forwarded by the router. This really has to do with your router and its compatibility rather than os x. Usually most sites will work, but you will find delays in loading while some site may not load at all because the name address is not being converted to an ip.

To fix this go to your router settings.
(If u don't know how to do this its time to go look up that manual that was conveniently tossed aside :D)
In those settings you should come to a summary page that lists all the info the router is getting from your isp. Note down the DNS info provided by your isp, alternatively you could just call and ask them.

Then go to your mac
Click the apple icon
Go to preferences
Click on network
Highlight what network you want to change (in my case wireless)
Select Advanced
Select DNS
Click the + sign, add the DNS you noted down.
Step back and select apply.

Should work right a way, restart if it doesn't
That is what I did and everything was working fine.

--> Another alternative is to use OpenDNS. Apparently people have had good results with it. MrGoogle the forms for it there are a lot of topics about the matter

arpfleiderer

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Worked

Just to clarify, for anyone who may have been confused by your answer regarding the router (i figured this out myself pretty quickly but just in case someone still has problems):

In order to get the router settings, just go to system preferences > network and then click the "advanced" button in the lower right hand corner of the network window. There should be a series of tabs, click on the "TCP/IP" tab. In this tab there should be a number listed next to the word "Router:"

Highlight that number, and use the copy function to copy it exactly. Then click the DNS tab, which is next to the TCP/IP tab.

Under the DNS tab there should be a list box titled "DNS servers:" with a number in it. Directly below that list box there should be a + and a - button. Press the "+" button, and you'll get a text box under the number you currently have. Right click on the box to paste the number from the TCP/IP tab you copied earlier. The number I had originally had a one-digit difference from the actual router number, and that was what was causing all of the problems.

Then press OK and make sure you press "apply" in the network settings box, to apply all changes. Reset your computer, and you should be in business! You'll find the internet works much faster, and the sites that refused to load before are working fine! I did anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.