MEID: Verizon mistakes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exi, Oct 1, 2015.

1. exi macrumors 6502

For those better with such things than I:

Recently went back and reactivated an older phone I had with Verizon. Took a call in to do so.

After reactivation of my older phone, in the phone's settings menu, the IMEI shown (for example) is:

--- (xx) (xxxxxx) (xxxxxx) -1

Whereas on Verizon's site, the displayed MEID is:

--- (xx) (xxxxxx) (xxxxxx) -01

Best I can come up with is that this has something to do with check digits on the end of an IMEI/MEID, and that it won't ever cause any functional or other issues. Can anyone explain why it changes when the phone was simply reactivated?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

IMEI is for GSM phones, MEID is for CDMA phones.

3. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification.

Any input as to the OP? Just to make sure.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

it doesn't matter which number you give them, verizons website will know if its an imei or meid
    if your phone does not have meid then its not a cdma model

a better techie question is what am i supposed to do with this unlocked t-mobile iPhone 6+s if sprint or verizon cant guarantee they can even activate it???

5. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

It's an iPhone 6 as far as GSM/CDMA operability. Question is just whether the differing IDs would ever be an issue. From what I remember, the last digit or two is a checksum, so I assume not, but could be mistaken.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

every single iPhone 6, unlocked, from any carrier, is now a verizon phone effective late august 2015.