Mel Gibson may lose $450m in divorce

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by daneoni, Apr 13, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Poor guy...and another Hollywood marriage bites the dust

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Seems pretty fair to me. And they have been married 29 years so it is not a flash in the pan hollywood marriage.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

29 years is definitely no easy feat and it seems his streak of unfaithfulness finally reached tipping point

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well on the upside is the letter a week I've sent for 20 years will now be put to good use. Mel knows me and probably already loves me!

It is sad to see 28 years go down but if there is nothing there is nothing. :(

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I never understand how people can get away with taking half the earnings if they did nothing to earn in. Its just stupid

6. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

LOL - California is crazier than most places in many ways. I've been here 21+ years and sometimes I think that I'm just as crazy for staying! ;)

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

What streak of unfaithfulness? :confused:

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I wouldn't say she did nothing. Raising seven kids is something ... and who knows what else she did behind the scenes.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

He could easily make this up with The Passion of the Christ II.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Passion of the Christ II: Crucify This!

[​IMG]

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not a fan of his at all, but it's sad for them nonetheless.

And yes, I do think it's fair that she gets half the money if he earned $900m while married.

12. Keebler macrumors 68030

No offense, but this comment comes from a lack of experience (and if not, just wrong :)

As someone who stays at home with the kids, I 100% respectively disagree.

A marriage is teamwork. period. If she hadn't looked after the kids, the house(s), filing Jessica's letters and doing everything possible which allowed Mel to work on his film career, it might not have grown to what it has. Simple as that. She's earned it all right.

I know that my wife wouldn't be as successful as she is if it wasn't for me looking after the house, the meals, organizing the kids' activities, homework doctors/dentists appts etc...etc.. That's not bragging.....it's the truth. She knows it and thanks me all the time. I just re-read that last paragraph and need to be clear, she's a great Mom and is still very involved in our kids' lives - it's not like she works all the time and ignores the munchkins. I just take care of the other stuff so her time with them is quality time.

Cheers,
    Keebler

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I can't say I have much sympathy for the anti-semite.

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And who's to say he wouldn't have earned twice as much without her? Not that "community property" is a bad idea, but to arbitrarily set it at 50% is ludicrous. He was paid for his work, talent, and creativity. She's getting half for maintaining the house, which honestly could have been done by any number of people; it's not really a unique skill. That logic would mean that a nanny or maid are entitled to half of the employer's earnings, for they functionally did the same.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Beeb reckons he's worth ~$640m. There's no way in hell she'll get more than half, surely!

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

All anyone knows is what the tabloids and TV is reporting and how much of that is TRUE and what parts are not twisted.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Most likely, since she's also asking for attorney's fees and spousal support. Why one would need monthly maintenance along with a $320M payout is beyond me.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

And I would say any reasonable person could live on her "monthly maintenance" expenditures comfortably for a year.

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

+1

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Can't they just spend it on help paying off the national debt? That is a lot of money between two people.

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

+2

Its the toughest job. Maids etc get to go home and just don't have anywhere near the same responsibility.

22. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Since marriage is financial as well as emotional partnership, they earned it, not just him. Unless they had a previously agreed-to arrangement (i.e., a prenup), they own each other's assets just like any other marriage.

If all he needed was a maid at home, he would have hired one instead of staying married to her. Presumably, she provided more for him than a maid does. Let's not pretend to understand their relationship from afar. And if that's what you think a stay-at-home mom is all about, then I hope you don't get married or have any kids anytime soon.

Now that, I agree, would be ridiculous. If she were to get half his assets, there would be no need for spousal support. I would go so far as to say that in this day and age, with most women working outside the home, alimony is an outdated concept. Unless she has been a housewife her entire life and has no workplace skills or money of her own, alimony is not justifiable.

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I was merely positing an additional set of possible considerations, not necessarily dovetailing with my personal beliefs. That tends to be the problem with both the internet and most trigger-happy folks these days, automatically and emotionally assigning a particular mindset in a discussion (though you seem to have avoided that trap).

As for myself, I've been married for longer than most members here have been alive, and have provided the overwhelming majority of family income through my own efforts, my spouse having no part in that part of the equation (other than my sense of personal obligation to provide for the household).

I made no assumption of the relationship, no did I presume to speak about stay-at-home moms--or dads--in the discussion. I simply provided additional points for thought (which I fully expected to get lost in the general righteous indignation one way or another).

24. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I think he still would have made the money without her, but he just wouldn't have had kids, she should get half the kids. Not half the money