Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
So I put my iPhone on the charger(iPad charger) the other night like I always do, when I woke up and went to unplug it, it wouldn't come out. I tugged a little harder and it came out. I inspected the cable and found that it was deformed/melted and definitely had "charred" marks on it. I then looked inside of the port and saw that the connector in the iPhone was "charred" as well. The phone still works(3GS) but it wont charge. The phone itself is way past warranty so I'm not banking on them to fix it or replace it, but I do feel in some way that Apple should do something considering I'm using an Apple charger. I have a Genius bar appointment in a couple hours, any advice on what I should do when I talk to them?

P.S. If I was in the wrong by using the iPad charger someone let me know, I would hate to look like an idiot when I walk in there, but I've read on here that it's fine to use it and it's worked fine for several months so I don't really see how that would be an issue.

Thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If they say but it's an iPad charger walk over and grab one from the shelf. It states on the box iPad iPhone and iPod.

As for the damage you should be looked after

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
do you live in uk or us, i would like to know because the difference in current and volts.

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Tell the truth?

Ummm yes that's the plan, I'm not trying to cheat myself into a new phone. Just wondering if I should expect them to fix it or if a "sorry this happened but we can't help you" is what I should expect...
smoge: I live in the US

Last edited:

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
in the us chargers do you have earth live and neutral, because to me it sounds like its shorted and killed the battery?

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
in the us chargers do you have earth live and neutral, because to me it sounds like its shorted and killed the battery?

If you're referring to the grounding pin then no we don't have that on the iPad specific charger(or at least mine doesnt)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Any moisture or foreign objects in there? Is the cable Apple or third party? I had some pocket link get in mine and made it difficult to get the charger cable in.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I think it's not unlikely they'd fix/replace it. It's really completely their fault. The iPad charger is supposed to be compatible with iPhones as well, I've used mine to charge my 3GS before - however, o think I'll be more careful now XD

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
The charger I was using was an Apple iPad 1 charger. The charger itself appears to be fine(the block part that connects to the wall), its the iPhone end of the cable and the port itself that were damaged.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Dock connectors for a 3GS are cheap and pretty easy to replace. Just hope it didn't fry the board inside.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
Same thing happen to my neighbor she called apple and they were just going to replace her phone. She had to sign some paper saying she wouldn't sue. Anyways I told her to ask for and upgrade so she did and they gave it to her.

SogeKing

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
a similar thing happened to me a week ago i was charging my 3gs connected to my imac overnight and when i woke up there was a message on the imac saying that it cut off power to the usb because it was pulling too much energy and the cable had char marks on it and a bit of it melted, my iphone is still fine and charges fine too just not sure why it would suddenly do that (although it could be cuz the cable was old and the plastic lining surrounding the wires was peeling and ripping away lol)

op i would just bring it to the apple store and give it a shot you never know what they might do

Jeepman88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Just got back from the Apple store and they replaced the phone and the cable, +1 for Apple

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Wow, that is good. I guess they take these melting/fire issues seriously if they gave you a new phone and cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.