Melted power supply advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danredwing, May 17, 2008.

1. danredwing macrumors member

Hey, I just wanted to drop a quick line to let you know about something to look out for.

About 3 nights ago, I started noticing a buzzing sound coming from the transformer on my power supply. When I went to check it out, the brick was really hot, much hotter than it has ever been. this afternoon, I went to recharge after using my Macbook unplugged and draining the battery down to about 35%.

About 15 minutes after plugging it back in, I noticed a very faint smell of burning plastic and noticed that the power cord was melting right where the strain relief joins the magsafe connector.

I promptly called the local Apple store and they told me to bring it in.

My macbook is almost 2 years old and I don't have Apple care but as soon as I walked in the manager asked it I'd been hurt or if anything besides the computer had been damaged. I told him no and then he promptly grabbed a new one out of the box and swapped it with no other questions asked and validated my parking. I was pretty impressed and I'm back at home charging now.

From what I can figure, it isn't a problem with the cable itself but with the transformer.

So, if you notice that your power supply brick is much hotter than usual, keep an eye on the end of the cable.

dano

2. kperrone macrumors newbie

kperrone

another reason why Apple is awsome. I bet if you took a pc with the same problem back to Best Buy for example, whether you had a warranty or not they'd probably tell you to f-off. Atleast Apple admits their issues and cares to fix them.

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Love the customer service , try that will my Vaio.