Membership climbing?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Is it just my addled perception or does there seem to have been a recent bump in membership? It seems like there's a lot of new faces around...

Which is nice.

Or are there yearly peaks or at least new interest spurred by Apple's announcements. Or are there new switchers by the day?

Is traffic to the site and forums noticeably up?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Haven't really noticed any more new faces than normal, although I don't usually have a good memory faces anyway... :(

At a guess, the MacBook rumours might have mustered a few more members among us. :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think there are a more, more new members around (think of it as an exponential function). Though that could simply be my perception, as I have been spending a more time here of late.

I agree that possible triggers are the release of the MacBooks, but probably more just the entire Intel switch in general - particularly with the whole Bootcamp thing causing quite a stir.

:)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Blue Velvet said:
Is it just my addled perception or does there seem to have been a recent bump in membership? It seems like there's a lot of new faces around...
I have noticed this as well. I for one, am always glad to see new faces on MR.
Hopefully, as mad jew said, this is also reflected in Apple's computer sales. :)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
There seems to be a lot of new members on the site, I also agree it is because of the MBP because I know a lot of my windows friends are now switching over to the MBP and don't know a thing about the Mac OS and all they what to do it boot windows on it....

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Membership Climbing?
Is it wrong that I saw that thread title and an image of a pile of naked Goddess came to mind? Or am I just reading too many of iBlue's posts??[
mad jew said:
Haven't really noticed any more new faces than normal, although I don't usually have a good memory faces anyway... :(...
That's because everyone you walk up to is in your peripheral vision.

It's nice to see some fresh blood about the place anyway, I guess the recent product announcements and higher sales (I assume, everyone seems to be getting Macs now) are translating into lots of noobs with questions about their new toys.

Or maybe they're just being attracted to the higher levels of smut of late?

EDIT: Also I'm noting more post from UK members, I think market share for Apple is probably growing quicker in the UK than the US?? Any chance of some graphs Doctor?

Blue Velvet said:

Which is nice.

Or are there yearly peaks or at least new interest spurred by Apple's announcements. Or are there new switchers by the day?

Is traffic to the site and forums noticeably up?
Judging solely by your blood-shot eyes, the 3/4 drained bottle of Baker's gripped tightly in your right hand, & the extra sharp Chef's knife just in front of you...

There are lots and lots of new members, and we're all here to learn from your devine wisdom. ;)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night (this is an indication of how sad my life really is), I decided to do a little research. I'm no Doctor Q, but hopefully my attempt isn't too bad.

For the graphically inclined:
Picture 1.png

For the numerically inclined:
Picture 2.png

My interpretation is that there hasn't been that much of a change, perhaps only a slight increase. It would be interesting to test the peaks in the graphs against Apple related events, but I'll leave that to someone else. :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
max_altitude said:
Because I have nothing better to do in a Friday night (this is an indication of how sad my life really is), I decided to do a little research.
Nawww. This shows you have a wonderful life, and don't waste it on movies, food and drink, parties, games, interacting with other human beings, and other useless stuff. After all, if you spent the evening bowling with your buddies, how many spreadsheet cells would you have to show for it in the morning? None! Q.E.D.

Great graph! As another way of showing it, could you change it to be cumulative and let us see how that version turns out?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
floriflee said:
As long as that means the stock will keep going up we will be happy.
Um...about that. Apple has been kind of off these last couple of days
Doctor Q said:
Great graph! As another way of showing it, could you change it to be cumulative and let us see how that version turns out?
So, how does it feel to be the one making the demands instead of the one trying to accomodate everybody?:p Speaking of which, how long are you going to be on the DL?