MemoPad on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nsheikh80, Nov 4, 2007.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I may be buying an iPhone in the UK on Nov 9th.

I have one issue that is potentially a deal breaker or deal maker!

I currently using a Treo 650 and the Memopad is an invaluable application for a number of reasons, in particular because it allows me to encrypt sensitive information. I also use it to follow the GTD personal productivity methodology.

My question, is there an equivalent on the iPhone? I'm pretty sure that Notes doesn't cut the mustard in this case, so has anyone come across it in the 3rd Party Apps environment?

2. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Mobile TextEditor is pretty much the only app that is kind of like a MemoPad. When you download that, also download MobileFinder because with MobileFinder, you can open files that you previously saved, or put on your phone so that you can look at it later.

3. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Unless you mod your iPhone to work with 3rd party apps and spend time to deal with that rocky road; and deal with iTunes updates that are anti 3rd party apps. Then your pretty much stuck with what this quote suggests.

.....Until Late Feb 08

Edit: I know of online method I use to secure data via a GTD app from a Mac and sync it to my iPhone. it's a very quick method, requires no hacking etc. let me know if interested I'll post instructions.

4. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

It would be very helpful if you could post this method. Thanks.

5. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Thanks for the reply. Does TextEditor allow you to encrypt passwords?

Also, from your description of Mobilefinder I get the impression that you can put normal text files on the iPhone?

6. ajl917 macrumors 6502

I dont think you can put passwords on TextEdit files, but MobileFinder is pretty much having iPhoneBrowser on your phone. You place files in a certain folder, and using MobileFinder, you can open them right there. And yes, Im pretty sure MobileTextEdit files are text files.

7. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

1st watch this YouTube video sample I just made to see this method in action.

Benefits of this method:
    • YOU DONT have to Hack your iPhone to accomplish this (that's a big plus)
    • its very fast. once you set up the method
    • you can create clickable links, clickable phone numbers, etc in your notes.
    • the HTML created with omnioutliner is lightweight and iPhone friendly (loads fast over Edge)
    • sync any file on your mac and view it on your iPhone (PDF,Doc,Excel,Images, Etc)
    • The collapsable directory works with touch screen on iPhone (very cool)
    • it's password restricted access to view notes etc
    • you don't have to submit your personal notes & todo's to someone elses iPhone To Do Web App. You store it on your own domain

Drawbacks:
    • unfortunately it's HTML so it is online even if it is password restricted
    • can't edit with iPhone because its a safari page in the end.

Now if you want to set this up for yourself just follow the instructions below. Once you have everything set up, you should be able to do what I do in this video (roughly about 15 seconds per sync?) depending on how many files you upload I guess.

Things you need:
    1. You need your own domain (www.YourOwnWebsite.com )
    2. You need 2 pieces of software (Fetch, and OmniOutliner )

Step 1.
    - Through your domain host, create a folder in the root directory called "mynotes" . So the url for this section looks something like www.mywebsite.com/mynotes

Step 2. (optional recommended)
    - Through your host secure the mynotes area so that anyone who tries to go to www.mywebsite.com/mynotes is prompted with a login and password

Step 3. Create a file called "mynotes" with Omnioutliner. This is your notes file. Use Omnioutliner to "Export" as "HTML" to a folder on you computer. (note: use the same folder to export everytime)

Step 4. Use fetch to create a "mirror file" . This mirror file is your one click solution to sync "mynotes folder created with omnioutliner" on your Mac, to the url www.mywebsite.com/mynotes

I think thats pretty much it. hmm throw the mirror file in the dock makes it easy to click and sync if you want. If you have any questions just post em i'll try to answer them later today...i'm off to the gym. GL

8. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Thanks for this.

One last question (promise!). Can you sync these files up back to a desktop?