Memorial Day 2013

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, May 26, 2013.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Please take a moment to remember the fallen hero's of America this Memorial Day weekend. Display your flags with pride.

How to Display The Flag

Here is my flag on display. The photo is from inside, so the union would look backwards, but I inverted the photo so it looks correct here. The proper display is shown to the outside.

Show us your flags!

Attached Files:

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

No pic of a flag for me but I did go to Tahoma National Cemetery to pay homage to the fallen.

3. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Good for you; I'm glad you remembered. :)

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Many thanks to you and all your military brethren, SandboxGeneral. God bless you all.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Please add my thanks to you, and especially to your comrades who didn't make it home at all.

Your contributions do not go unnoticed. :)

6. SandboxGeneral, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Thank you gentlemen. I hope you and many others are able to get out tomorrow and see a parade or participate in some way to honor all of those who sacrificed their lives so that we can have it so good today. :)

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would of had my flag up this weekend but the weather has been horrible. Hopefully tomorrow. :)

8. BanjoBanker, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013

BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I went and put fresh flowers on my dad's grave today. WW II vet and POW. I also watched his interview on the History Channel's documentary about the bomber he flew in. Catch it here is you want, Dad is the bombardier interviewed about flak and being shot down. He talks about it at 38:44 in the show.

RIP Dad, you are missed.

9. Roller macrumors 68020

Just watched the entire video...remarkable aircraft (once it was modified) and amazing men, including your Dad, who flew and maintained it.

10. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Myself as a U.S. Marine, I naturally believe that my service is the best, ;) and that the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon assigned to the Marine Barracks 8th & I in Washington D.C. are the services' best.

However, I honestly believe there is only one Armed Forces unit that is better. That is the U.S. Army Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. These men are, in my opinion, the most locked on, disciplined unit in the U.S. Armed Forces.

They have a very solemn and honorable duty and I have the absolute, unmitigated and utmost respect for them.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Remember when celebrating and remembering our hero's please keep in mind these things:

18 veterans commit suicide every day. Just about 1 AD military member per day

Veteran unemployment was over 11% March

About 63,000 veterans are homeless on any given night, 1.4 million are at risk due to poverty.

The next time that unsmiling kid comes in to your business looking for a job his resume might say High School followed by Infantryman and you read no skills, give him shot anyway I guarantee he will will succeed.
    ============================================

I'm convinced that the infantry is the group in the army which gives more and gets less than anybody else.--Bill Mauldin

Under peaceful conditions a warlike man sets upon himself--Nietzsche

http://nchv.org/index.php/news/media/background_and_statistics/
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-report-shows-rates-looking-up-for-veterans/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/melanie...of-veterans-who-now-commit-suicide-every-day/

12. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I bought another flag this morning and mounted it on my balcony. As I was unfurling the flag, I could hear the high school band up the street practicing the national anthem! Quite apropos. :)

Attached Files: