Memory and Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew017, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

If I want to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, does Apple sell it, or do I get it from a site like Crucial? I really want Lion or Mountain Lion, but I just am not sure how fast it will run.

PS- this MacBook is the model that came out right before the unibody MacBooks, and currently, with Snow leopard installed, it runs wonderfully fast.

Also, If at some point the 120GB Hard Drive I have isn't enough, can I get a SSD drive? How would I transfer my OS and data? I have a time machine USB drive, but I didn't backup my system.

Thank You!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Sure!
    A simple way is to buy your new drive in an external enclosure. Then clone your existing drive to the new one, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Now swap the drives, putting the new external drive in your Mac, and putting your existing drive in the external enclosure. You now have your system on a new internal drive, and you have another external drive for backups or additional storage.

3. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

OK thanks! However, I don't have an external drive. I have a 2GB USB stick that I use for backups for my home folder. I could probably borrow one from someone, though.