Memory and Hard drive upgrade Q Macbook Pro - Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ik11, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ik11 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I tried searching the forums but couldnt find a perfect answer... Also read the Guide for Ram but still have some Q's ...

Ok here goes..

I have a 17" Macbook Pro - Intel core 2 Duo 2.40 Ghz with 2 GB ram and 160 gb Hard disk .. This was Purchased in Feb 08

Now I would like to upgrade the memory to 4 GB (i use Photoshop heavily and at times my mac slows down) I have confusions about what kinda memory to purchase ... I read somewhere that some MBPs only have support till 3.3 Gb and dont utilize the complete 4 GB capacity.. I believe this is not applicable in my MBP's case? Also what is DDR2 and DDR3? which one should i choose? like it says "Type: 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM" and for another it says "Type: 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM" whats the difference?

Also what is "Dual Channel" Should I buy the memory as a kit? or I can buy to separate pieces of 2gb each?

Also since I am not in the U.S I cant order from Newegg which i believe is the best and most recommended choise on this forum .. So I ll have to buy locally .. And here i dont think they have the "Crucial" brand available .. which other brands can i go with? Plz gimme 3 or 4 options .. is kingston a good choise? Have u guys heard about "hynix"?

And now regarding the hard drive upgrade Question... My MBP came with 160 GB so now if i wanna upgrade .. what capacity max can I upgrade to? what max size HDD will my MBP support? What brands do u guys recommend? Seagate?

Sorry for so many Q's but yr help will be much appreciated :)

P:S - My MBP will be 1 yr old in 15 days ... Should I go in for the Apple Care thingy before that? It gives a 1 year added warranty if I go for Apple care before it expires is that right? Is Apple care worth the money?

2. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey nobody in the mood to help? :(

Here's extra info if that helps?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B05
    SMC Version: 1.18f4

3. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

You can go 4GB of DDR2 ram in your model. You need to replace the 2 modules in there so get a pair of 2GB modules. Brands micro, crucial, kingston are good. Nanya, epilda, hynix also works. In fact, I just swapped my Unibody MBP 2GB of DDR3 with OWC 2X 2GB modules. The stock rams were hynix.

For the HD, you can go 500GB sata. WD and Seagate has these. Oh, get APPLECARE!. That will save you heaps of you want to keep the MBP for long. This kind of insurance is key for longterm ownership. Good Luck.

4. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

5. ik11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response Guys Much Appreciated!

Another Q I have is .. on sone threads here I read that you can also use 6 GB using one 4 GB and one 2GB sticks.. Will it be supported in my MBP?

also Since i use Leopard and also Vista (32 bit) will I be able to utilize full 4 GB in Vista? or not? For that will i have to use 64 Bit Vista?

Thanks!