Memory and HDD upgrades and Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ssd, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ssd macrumors newbie

ssd

Hiya guys,

Under Apple's current T&C consumers are allowed to upgrade memory and hard disk in their Macbooks, which is good. So here I am with my maxed out RAM and SSD upgraded MBP and purchased Applecare.

Imagine a situate that two years down the line something happens, motherboard fries, whatever, (touching wood) and Apple decides to replace my entire laptop under Applecare.

Q: What will happen to upgraded memory and SSD, will I be allowed to remove them? If so, will Apple require me to put original bits in, like RAM and HDD.

It's more of a 'shall I keep original HDD and RAM' or can I dispose of them (sell on ebay whatever)?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple would not replace any 3rd party parts you installed, so it's a good idea to hang on to the originals, in the event you got a replacement.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Or Apple will just replace around your parts. When I sent my MBP in for a new power board about a month before my Applecare was up, they didn't care about my extra RAM.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not what the OP was asking:
    AppleCare wouldn't replace an entire MBP and transfer 3rd party RAM or HD from the old to the new. If you didn't remove those parts prior to shipping to Apple, you'd lose them if the entire MBP was replaced.

5. SA22C macrumors regular

Yeah, you best hang on to the original parts for just such an occasion. Even for smaller repairs, there's no guarantee that you'll get 'your' MacBook back from the repair depot.

6. ssd thread starter macrumors newbie

ssd