Memory and SSD on Future RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kushp14, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Do you all think the retina 15 inch will have 16gb memory and 512gb SSD standard, and possibly a price drop ? What do you guys think.. ?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not next year. It is too expensive to increase standard RAM and SSDs (which are still expensive) AND a price drop.

3. pgiguere1, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I think it would be better to just keep the current 256GB/8GB as the baseline and simply reduce its price over time. Obviously the second model and BTO options would have their price reduced accordingly.

I see this kind of question asked pretty often and honestly don't understand. If the option for 512GB/16GB is there, why do you care if it's considered the base model or an upgrade?

The more affordable Retina Macs are the better, since more people will use them and developers will have more pressure to update their apps.

My bet is that it will eventually be priced at around $1,799, like the cMBP, in around 2 years from now. By then new BTO options will be added (32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) to make the highest possible price about the same as right now. Remember that the 15" cMBP used to cost $1,999 when it was introduced.

4. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Not a chance.

512gb SSD's are still very expensive. 8gb of RAM is plenty for most people.

Apple is crazy stingy about base specs, because they want people to pay their insane rates for upgrades.

Just take a look at iPhones:

3gs - 16gb base
    4 - 16gb base
    4s - 16gb base
    5 - 16gb base

That's 4 straight generations of phones with the same amount of base storage, and it's pretty ridiculous. Hopefully the 5s will finally make the jump to 32gb, but who knows.

5. Kushp14 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah your right, it may not be until the components become cheap..
    As of apple releasing in the summer, do you guys think it will be right after WWDC in june like most of the time, or July- Aug..
    I don't know how they could keep up if they are planning a iPhone 5s in the summer as well.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I expect maybe an announcement during WWDC, but not shipping until late July to early September. In that case, the will likely not announce it at WWDC, since "Available to ship in 8-12 weeks" is not a good seller.

7. Kushp14 thread starter macrumors regular

haha yeah, good point

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I would suggest the pricing w.r.t. RAM and SSD will be very similar to those of the early 2013 refresh, i.e. what is available now.

I think it is also pretty much a certainty that Apple will not release their MBPs until they can be shipped immediately, and physical retail stores already have some stock. We will likely know a few days before they are released because Apple resellers will have mystery boxes arriving at their door, and there will be a few leaked photos of their contents.

9. abc123 macrumors 6502

If SSD prices continue to fall rapidly I think they'll move to 512GB. 256GB is quite limiting and external storage is a pain, especially if you want to be sensible and have a backup of all your data.

I don't see a move to 16GB standard for a while though. There is no 32GB upgrade option at the moment and apple like to make $$ on that soldered RAM.

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

That's inaccurate. The 3GS and the 4 shipped with 8gb base.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

^What he said.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I doubt 512GB SSD or 16GB Ram will be the standard, what could be possible is a slight price drop.

13. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Not true. The original 3gs came with 16gb (I know because I had one), but they later introduced a more budget version with 8gb.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No... you're right sorry. I forgot. :(