Memory Capacity of 2011 21.5" 2.5GHz

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danny_w, Jul 12, 2012.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

There seem tob e some conflicting information on this entry model iMac, even on the Apple site. The user manual says that it has 4 slots for up to 16GB (as does Crucial) but the Apple refurb store listing for this model indicates that it only supports 8GB. Does somebody that actually owns this model give me the real lowdown? Thanks.

2. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Apple BTO will allow upgrades to 8GB (wouldn't recommend!), it is officially supported up to 16GB, but te iMac can unoficialy support 32GB of RAM.

I don't have an iMac myself, but all 2011 iMacs, refurbed or not, can support whatever I said above.

What made you ask this, by the way?

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can check everymac.com. It supports 32 GBs if you use 4x8GB memory modules

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. I was thinking about buying a base refurb and wanted to know how much memory I could install. As I said the manual and the product page seem to conflict. I wondered if perhaps the base model only had 2 SIMM slots or was artificially limited.

5. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

The iMac has 4 SO-DIMM slots, each having a maximum capacity of 8GB RAM. if you aren't sure about this still, or about somethign else, then i would take a look at this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52208/Intel-Core-i5-2400S-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz)

have a nice day :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM: